Teaching Practice 2
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about An Englishman's home ..... is his castle! in the context of adults living at home
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a conversation /present simple/ in the context of family /vocabulary/
Procedure (40-50 minutes)
- T Draws a family tree on the board. - T Puts my name on it. - T writes the names of four or five family members next to it in a list - T tells Ss about their family - T tells Ss to copy and complete the family tree. They can ask you any questions to help them. - T writes on the board "How old are you? Do you live with your parents? why? why not?" - T asks Ss to talk to a partner answering these questions above. - T asks Ss to discuss the questions in ex 1. with a partner.
- T teaches Ss these vocabulary items ( castle, an only son, opinion, own, get married) by asking them to match the words to their definitions and showing the Ss pictures to check Ss answers. - T asks Ss to look at the photo and asks: Who can you see? How old is he? Is he rich or poor? Is he married? Is he happy? - T shows the Ss the title "An Englishman's home ........ is his castle" and asks What do you think this is about (pointing at the title)?Talk to a partner. - T elicits some opinions from the Ss and writes them on the board. - T writes the opinions on a piece of paper because they will use them in the last stage.
- T breaks this reading into sections. - T asks Ss to read The Castle Family and asks them what is the problem? Peer check then T takes FB. - T asks Ss to read His Mother's Opinion and asks is it a problem for his mother? Peer check then T takes FB. - T asks Ss to read His Father's Opinion and asks is it a problem for his father? Peer check then T takes FB. - T asks Ss to read Andy's Opinion and asks is it a problem for Andy? Peer check then T takes FB.
- Ss read the article again and underline the correct word. - Peer check, then FB
- T asks Ss to discuss these questions "What do you think of the situation? Why does Andy live at home? Do you know a person in Andy's situation? Do you live at home? Why?" in pairs. - (If time, Ss change partners and report their first partners' opinions) - T takes FB. - T writes on the board the opinions he took about the title in the second stage. - T discuss with Ss which one is the closest to the story.