Intermediate Level level
To provide gist, detailed and scan reading practice using a text about halloween
To provide clarification and practice of words used describing Halloween festivities such as: witch, candy,monster,ghost, costumes
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of halloween
Procedure (38-51 minutes)
- Use video about Halloween to draw student's attention . - Ask Ss some questions if they ever celebrated Halloween. If yes, - what did they dress like? - what was their favorite costume ? - why do people wear costumes ? - What do people usually eat or give away during Halloween ? - Do we celebrate Halloween in the Egyptian culture ? - Where is mostly celebrated in Egypt ? and Why ?
- Give out the Halloween article, let Ss read it quickly individually, then ask them for gist questions that would be written on the board: ex: Read the article and choose which title could fit the best : a) Halloween Basic's b) The Day of the Dead c) How and When Halloween was celebrated? - Ss check answers together, = and then the whole class feedback - Peer correction, if necessary
- Ss will be divided in pairs, Ss are given instructions about the detailed reading activity - Ss will be asked to check answers together - T will elicit from the students about their last Halloween experience - Ss will go to the board and write the answers. - Peer correction if necessary
- Set Ss in two large groups, ask them to underline all the vocabulary words mentioned at the beginning of the lesson. - T will drill the words, Ss repeat - T checks the meaning of words by asking student questions - T will ask Ss a couple of true or false questions for CCQ's on the board: 1. Halloween celebrated in all counties T/F 2. Most People don't have fun on Halloween T/F 3. Costumes are worn every day. T/F - Peer correction
- Pair Ss in larger groups, ask students to refer to the text using all the vocabulary words. - Hand out large A3 paper, colors, scissors and ask them to design a Halloween invitation card using at least 5 vocabulary words. - Each group will present to the other group. - Announce a prize for the group who will add new words.