Teaching Practice 2
To provide practice of language used for Describing People in the context of a tour group
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a classroom activity in the context of Describing people
Procedure (45-55 minutes)
- Show some pictures to the students about the vocabulary they learnt in the previous lesson and ask them questions: *What does he/ she look like? *How old is he/she? *What colour eyes does he/she have? - Whole class feedback - Write the answers on the board
- Teach the students what kind of questions we use to ask about physical appearence and teach them what kind of answers we can give * What does she/ he look like? * She has dark skin, she is tall - Teach the students when we use "to be" and "have/has" while answering these questions.
- Let the students listen to the audio 1.45 in Straightforward Elementary SsBk unit 2D and ask them to make sentences with the words they hear: For example: If the word they hear is " glasses", they are supposed to write "She has glasses" - Give the students HO's and ask them to correct the sentences For example: - What do they look? - They are supposed to correct it as " what do they look like? - Put the students in pairs as A and B. Give A one minute to choose a person in the classroom and how to describe he or she and give B one minute to prepare some questions to ask. Student B asks questions and Student A describes someone in the class. When student B has guessed the person, they change the roles.
- The students are going to do the communication activity in Straightforward Elementary SsBk P29 speaking activity. - Write the names of the celebrities ( Diego Maradona, Elvis Presley, Penelope Cruz, Halle Berry) on the board and ask the students what they know about them. Give them some information about those famous people and explain them how to do the activity. - Put the students into A and B pairs. Give the student A page 132 and student B page 135. - Model the activity and then tell students to take it in turns to describe their famous people - Monitor them and take notes the mistakes they make - In feedback, find out which pictures of the famous people are the same and which are different. - Students are going to do another activity which is in Straightforward Elementary extra activity U2D -Photocopy one worksheet per group of 16 students. Cut up the cards on each worksheet -Then tell the students that they are going to do another activity. - Hand out one card to each student. - Explain that each student has a partner with exactly the same description as that on their card. They must go around the class and ask each other questions in to find their identical partner. For Example: A: " What do you look like?" B: " I am tall and thin" - Monitor them and take notes the mistakes they make - When they have found their identical partner, they may sit down. If some students finish earlier than the other, tell them to talk about their families or friends. For example: A: " What does colour eyes does your father have?" B: "He has big blue eyes"
- Write the mistakes students made during the tasks - Correct them