Vocabulary Lesson-Family Members
Elementary Adult Students level
To provide clarification and practice of vocabulary including " uncle, grandparents, mother, father" in the context of family members.
To provide clarification of Possessive Pronouns. Ss would be able to use possessive nouns refereeing to their relatives. e.g: Carla is his niece, Nana is my Grandmother
Procedure (27-41 minutes)
- Ask Ss to sit in a U-shaped seating facing the white board. - Show a big picture of my family tree placed on the board. - Ask Ss to guess who is my mother, father,niece, son, nephew, aunt, grandmother, grandfather.
- Elicit from students what is a family tree ? - Ask Ss to guess who are these members. Ex: What is this tree about ? Why is it called a "Family Tree" ? Who do you think is my father ? Who do you think i resemble the most ?
- Ask students how many of them have nieces and nephews. EX: How many of you have nieces and nephews ? How often does your family gather ? - Ask Students about their Grandmothers and the favorite dish she cooks? EX: What is the favorite dish your grandmother cooks ?
- Show Ss a slide showing a picture of male and female figures - Write in two columns all the family members sorted out by female and male - Ask Ss about the difference between Niece and Nephew , Grandfather and Grandmother Son and Daughter, Mother and Father. - Ask Ss to drill each member after T - Elicit from Ss female family members: E.X: who are female family members ? Ss: Grandmother, Niece, Daughter, ect. E,X: who are male Family members ? Ss: Grandfather, Nephew, Son , ect.
- T give a gap-fill HO - Ask Ss to complete the sentences correctly
- Explain to students in steps about the word snake - Clarify the Vocabulary word they will need from the board - Divide 10 Ss (5 pairs) - Ask each pair to fill 2 questions - T. passes around during exercise - Each pair will represent the answer -Ss check togther -T feedback
- Give family tree handout to Ss individually. - Ask Ss to fill in their own family tree using their member name's - Ask Ss to exchange the sheets together. - Each S will present to the other S guessing their family member using possessive pronoun e.g: Mayada is his niece and Farida is her grandmother. - Each group presents in front of the class, and then the whole class feedback