Reyhan Torlak, 18/03/14 Future Plans
To provide detailed and different reading practices from a text which includes sentences such as "I am going out on Saturday.", "I might not turn up at all." in the context of future plans.
to enable Ss to find some certain words that are used in the text by using given clues.
Procedure (43-15 minutes)
- distribute a hand-out to each student which includes two questions on it about the video and give them 20 seconds to read and understand these questions before watching the video - tell them think about these Qs while watching the video - open the video and make them watch just once - give enough time to talk about these Qs with their partners - nominate Ss to read the questions and get feedback by discussing them with the whole class - ask them whether they can add any different characteristics of teenagers - give a prompt if they have difficulty by using gestures, mimics or body language.
- divide the classroom into two groups according to the number of Ss and give a carton to each group with different color on which there is a question related to the topic - give different color board markers to each group - tell them come together as a group, share their knowledge about the question, and write their answers on the carton in 2-3 minutes. - when time is over, tell one of the student from each group come and stick their cartons on the board. - give a chance to each group read their questions and share their answers with the whole class orally. - ask other group's opinions about the question - do the same procedure for each group - don't forget asking ICQS before beginning the activity 1) how many questions are we going to answer? 2) are we going to work alone? 3) how many minutes do we have?
- open PPP and tell Ss read and discuss about the questions with their partners for 2 min. - when time is over, get feedback from Ss, especially talk about the 3rd question which is "What can be the text about?" to see their ability to preview the text.
- give 3 min. and let the Ss read the text and find the problems that were mentioned in the text and underline them - group Ss for discussing about the text - use different techniques for grouping. For example; create different categories like "sleepy teens", "energetic teens", "hungry teens", or "tired teens" and divide Ss according to these categories - tell them come together and talk about the problems that they found in the text
- tell Ss work individually and in 2 minutes try to complete the summary of the text - let them check in pairs - nominate Ss randomly and tell them read the sentence with the correct answers or project the answers on the board and tell them check their answers
- W/C go through the T/F Qs, get the SS idea about the sentences, but don't give the right answers. - give them 2-3 minutes to read the text again and find the right answers - tell them highlight the answers in the text where they found the answer - let them check in pairs - W/C F/B nominate a student for each sentence to read and tell the correct answer and show the place where s/he found the answer - follow this procedure for each sentence
- divide the classroom into 3 groups by giving them a number and tell them come together with their groups - explain the way of activity by giving demo, but before it, hand them a hand-out on which they can see the definitions of key words with an extra example - distribute the definitions for the groups so that each group just focus on the given ones - when they finish their task with their groups, tell them mingle, talk and try to find other words for the definitions. - nominate a student to read the definition and get answer from him/her - let this student choose a different student for the next answer - do choral drilling - at the end of the lesson, put Ss in small groups and get them discuss especially the 2nd question in 3