Technology / Future
To provide listening practice by listening some people talking about technology in the future time.
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of technology.
Procedure (45-55 minutes)
- Have the smart board ready to show the objects in the book. - Show some gadgets to the Ss and ask the name of each gadget. - Group the Ss by giving them a colour and ask them to talk about the gadget they have and what they like or dislike about them. - Monitor.
- Get the photocopies ready for each students. - Project the pictures on page 35. - Ask the names of the objects. - Tell Ss you are going to give them three minutes to discuss the questions in ex. 1 in pairs. - Monitor and support when they work. - Discuss O/C and give feedback.
- Tell Ss they are going to work in groups again to discuss the questions in 2a. -Tell them they have 4 minutes to discuss. - Nominate one student from each group to share their ideas with whole class.
- Make enogh copies for group work. - Pass out HOs for students to match the words with definitions in groups and tell them they have two minutes. - Monitor when they work. - Give them a copy of the answers. - Ask groups some words to check if they have understood.
- Tell Ss they are going to listen some people discussing. As they listen they are going to check whether the same ideas come up. - Discuss answers whole class and give feedback.
- Ask Ss to find and correct three factual mistakes in the notes in 2c and check in pairs. - Give Ss copies of audio script from page 166 to check their answers in pairs.
- Read the first sentence from 4a and elicit what the underlined phrases used for. - Ss underline the other time markers. Ask them to check in pairs. Monitor and support. - Ask Ss to put time markers under correct heading: an exact time in the future, not an exact time in the future-soon, not an exact time in the future-not very soon and check in pairs. - Whole Class and give feedback.
- Group the Ss by giving them fruit names to discuss the questions in part 4c. Monitor. - Discuss the questions with whole class.