Copy of TP8a Lesson Plan "One Wheeled Wonder"
To give students practice in gist reading and reading for detail in the context of using a unicycle for transportation.
To review comparatives in the context of using a unicycle for transportation.
Procedure (39-53 minutes)
- Put the pictures of a motorbike, an iett bus, a metro,a funicular, a taxi, a bicycle, a car and a minibus on the WB. - Ask them what they are and when and why they use them. (Elicit the phrase 'public transport') - Show them a picture of a unicycle and ask them what they know about it and ask what they can use it for. - Get FB and show them the pictures of different activities on a unicycle.
- Tell them that they will read a text about a man who uses unicycle for transportation. - Clarify the meaning of the words 'crowded', 'quick', 'common', 'cyclist', 'wheel', 'journey', 'traffic jam' and 'long distance' by eliciting and showing them the pictures. - Write the new vocabulary on the WB and drill them - Show them the picture of Joe Marshall (the man who rides a unicycle in the text) and ask them why do they think he rides a unicycle. - Get them in pairs and give them the ex.1 where they will have some possible reasons for him to ride a unicycle to work.
- Give them the reading and tell them to check their answers after they read the text. - After the FB, get them in pairs and give them the ex. 2 where they should find the true/false statements related to the text. - Get WC feedback
- After FB, mingle them and give them the ex.3 where they need to fill in the blanks with the comparatives related to the text.
- Write 'Unicycles are slower than bikes.' - Clarify the meaning of the sentence and elicit the form. Point out the syllables in the adjective and show the stress. - Write ' Bikes are more dangerous than unicycles.' - Clarify the meaning of the sentence and elicit the form. Point out the syllables in the adjective and show the stress also in this sentence. - Clarify the difference between 'slower' and 'more dangerous'.
-Get sts in pairs and give them the ex.4 where they need to write the comparatives forms of adjectives - Get WC feedback
- Get sts into groups and tell them that you want to buy a car or a motorbike but you can not decide which one to buy. - Ask them to write you an advice paper including at least 5 reasons to buy a car or a motorbike in Istanbul - Give them an example - Get WC feedback by making them discuss their ideas.