Gözde Demirel TP 2a , Vocabulary&Speaking
To provide the SS with clarification and practice on some new vocabulary in the context of communication. By the end of the lesson, SS will have learned the meaning of the new words, and will be able to use them in the speaking activity.
To provide accuracy and fluency while using learned vocabulary in a structured speaking activity
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
- Show SS " like" symbol and ask them " What is that symbol?" " Who uses Facebook? and Why do you use it ? " - SS think for a minute on their own. - They discuss their points in P/W - At the end W/C F/B
- Tell students that you will hang some photos on the board. - In pairs SS think about these photos for a minute - Tell them that you are going to give them words and definitions to match with these photos, - SS match the words with pictures in pairs. - Then W/C F/B nominating one person from each group to hang the word below the photo on the board.
- Tell SS to work alone to match the words in the box with the phrases. - When finished, ask them to check their answers in pairs. - W/C F/B, elicit who is saying them, parent or teenager.
- Tell SS that they are going to listen to the sentences - Tell them to pay attention to the intonation. - Play the recording 8c and let them listen once - Tell them that they are going to listen it again to copy the intonation. - Pause the audio after each sentence.
- Tell SS that they are going to work alone to underline the phrases which involve comunication. - Check in pairs - Then W/C -FB - Then tell them to match the underlined phrases with the phrases a)-h) on their own first, and pair check before W/C F/B
- Tell SS to think about their own teenage years and makes notes about what they liked, hated, moaned about... (T monitors and supports) -SS think about now and make notes about people they enjoy chatting to, gossiping about, argue with.... and make notes - Group them in 2 or 3 - Tell SS to discuss their ideas in groups - Then W/C - F/B , nominating from groups to share ideas. * (If there is extra time ) - Tell SS to work in pairs to compare their experiences about how their ideas changed since they were a teenager