To provide students with gist and detailed reading practice in the context of the text about the unusual shops.
To provide students with free personalized speaking practice in the context of unusual shops.
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
- T shows the SS pictures of different shops and asks what kind of shop it is, is it big or small, what things can you buy there. T asks SS to come up with the names of the biggest, the smallest, the most interesting shop they know. After WC brainstorming, the SS draw papers from the bag and discuss the questions they got in pairs now. WC feedback follows. After that the T elicits form the SS the topic of the lesson - Unusual Shops.
- The T tells SS to work in pairs and gives handouts with matching vocabulary activity, allows enough time for SS to complete it, then gives out the AK. After that, the teacher drills the key vocabulary and asks CCQs to the most difficult vocabulary items.
- T gives instructions to the reading for gist task, then gives SS the text and 5 cutout titles with keywords SS have to match to each paragraph of the text while they read. T asks ICQs. SS check their answers in pairs and then nominate each other to check the answers WC.
- T gives SS HO with True/False statements about the text. SS first complete the task individually, then do peer check, then T regroups SS and gives them AK in halves and the SS check each other in pairs.
- T puts the discussion questions around the classroom. SS work in pairs and move around the class talking to each other about each question for 2 minutes. T monitors the SS and takes notes.
- T asks SS what interesting information they have learned about their classmates and does the delayed error correction of the mistakes T noticed while monitoring the speaking practice.