A1/A2 (Elementary) level
To provide clarification and practice of comparative adjectives
To provide accuracy speaking practice in comparative adjectives both regular and irregular forms
Procedure (33-40 minutes)
- Ask Ss to remember what they've studied for the previous session. - Ask them to give as many adjectives as possible about two cities.
- Instruct Ss to read the sentences and show how the adjectives have changed. - Ask Ss to do it in pairs. - Ask Ss to check their answers in their groups.
- Draw a table on WB. - Ask Ss to locate the adjectives (they discussed about in groups) for each column. - Elicit the forms as much as possible. Do not clarify unless it is needed.
- Write good and Bad on the board. - Ask Ss to guess the comparative form of the adjectives. - If elicitation doesn't work, clarify they are irregular and present the forms to Ss. - Ask Ss to give examples of what is good/ better and bad/ worse to check the concept.
- Instruct Ss to read the sentences and complete them with comparative adjectives individually. - Ask them to check in pairs. - project the answer key and ask them to check their responses. - Monitor to make sure everyone is on the right track.
- Put two pictures of Istanbul and Bodrum on WB. - Group Ss based on fruit names. (apple, banana,cucumber,...) - Ask Ss to compare two cities based on qualities like size, population, weather,....) - Monitor and take notes of mistakes. - In an O/C FB, go through the mistakes and wrap up the session.