a house with a history, there + be lesson
Elementary A1/2 level
Grammar- To provide clarification and practice of there+be and its different forms including negative and questions
pronunciation and stress pattern
Procedure (37-44 minutes)
- Ask Ss to talk about what they've studied in the previous lesson. (a house and its different parts)
- Ask Ss to read the dialogue again and complete the chart alone. - Ask Ss to check their responses in pairs. - Put the completed table on the board so Ss can check their responses.
- Use the previous table on the board. - Underline all the structures with there+be in the examples. - Ask Ss to give reasons for the way the sentences are formed. - Try to elicit as much as possible before any clarification.
- Put two sentences on the board: There are three families. / There are some families. - Ask Ss to work in pairs to find the differences. - Ask one or two pairs to give their responses. - Clarify the differences the sentences have. (Just in case the responses were not satisfactory.) - Ask some CCQs to make sure Ss are all on the right track.
- Instruct Ss to do the task individually. - Ask them to check their responses in pairs. - Ask them to final-check from the answer key on the board. - Ask Ss to repeat the correct sentences to internalize the structure.
- Put the model conversation on the board. - Model the conversation for Ss. - Ask Ss to repeat the exact words. - Continue the process so that Ss memorize the conversation. - Show some pictures of chairs, bears and restaurant, library,... to replace original words in the conversation. - divide Ss into two groups of A and B and perform a choral presentation.
- Ask Ss to stand up and have a circle. - Instruct them carefully to avoid any misunderstanding. - Submit the first paper to one Ss and ask him/her to have a question using there is or there are and the next S has to answer based on grammar covered. - The process continues with three or four pieces of paper.