To provide gist and specific information listening practice in the context of transport.
To provide fluency speaking practice based on discussion about transport using vocabulary from the topic.
Procedure (34-44 minutes)
- T greets students and recalls their names. - T shows to the SS some transport pictures and asks students to name items on them, then elicits the word "Transport" which is the name of today's lesson's topic. T asks the SS to brainstorm other types of transport they know. - T asks the SS which types of transport they like and which ones they don't like and why. T models the answer talking about his/hers preferences and then asks SS to discuss it PW. After that, T asks students to share the ideas they discussed.
- T gives HO to the SS and asks them to look at the pictures with some interesting types of transport. Students need to match pictures to the the transport names PW. The T does WC FB and discusses it, explains the term World Fair. - T pre-teaches vocabulary needed for the listening tasks by eliciting the words from the SS. Successful - when you are very good at something. Means having good results, becoming popular and/or makings a lot of money. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Nazif Zorlu Public Transport - How do we call transport that other people use everyday together with us?Give examples of bus, metrobus, metro, tram. Expensive - some things are very cheap and some are ... (T acts out). Good condition - realia showing two notebooks one in bad one in good condition (new, pretty). Impossible - when you can't do something. Realia: when we can't open the window, we say it's ... Noisy - when there are lots of different sounds, cars honking, planes flying we say it's... . On foot - shows picture and asks when you walk somewhere you go there ... ....
- T tells the SS that they will listen to a piece of excursion tour from the museum of transport. SS don't need to worry and try to understand every word, then will need to answer two questions from the HO. T elicits some example answers SS could possibly hear. - T plays the recording only once and after that asks students to check each other's answers before asking them WC.
- T tells the SS they will listen to recording again and this time they will need to fill the table from the HO and write problems of each transport. T plays recording two times and breaks it into 3 parts the second time to give SS more time to write down the answers. - SS first do peer check to compare their answers and discuss them, then T gives FB to WC.
- T regroups SS and gives them HO with discussion questions. Ss work in groups to answer the questions and then the T asks WC to share their ideas and comments on the most interesting ones.
Before class, T writes different types of transport on stickers, one for each student. T puts one sticker to the back of each person. Ss then walk round the class and ask and answer yes/no questions to find out the type of transport on their backs: Is it a public transport? Does it go on the road? Does it fly? Is it big? Is it for lots of people? etc. SS exchange the cards and the activity continues until they found out 2-3 transport types.