Gözde Demirel TP 1a , Listening & Speaking About Interviews
To provide specific information and detailed listening practice using an audio in the context of interviews.By the end of this lesson, students will have practised answering questions by listening to an audio.
To be able to familiarize with " the expressions that introduce questions and opinions ".At the end of this lesson, students will be able to identify the expressions that introduce questions and opinions
To provide accuracy in pronunciation and practice to use the right intonation while asking questions and giving personal opinions by drilling the sentences in the context of interviews
Procedure (40-47 minutes)
- Ask the students to make a quick brainstorming of dos and donts for a job interview, show the students two pictures where an interview is being carried out, ask questions about the picture and elicit the words " interviewer" and " interviewee".
- Group the students in 3 or 4 - Tell them that they will be given 5 words with a sample sentence under it and 5 definitions, they should work together to match the words with their meanings. - Give them 2-3 minutes to work on the activity - Then O/C discussion of the answers.
- Tell the students they are going to listen to three interviews and answer the questions in exercise 4a on their own. - Play recording 7 - After listening, give a couple of minutes to the students for answering the questions - Get the students in pairs to check their answers. - Checking the answers O/C - Tell the pairs to work again to answer ex.4b from what they remember,give some time to do the exercise. - Play again to check the answers ( if necessary play again) - Nominate O/C F/B
- Write the sentence " Actually I do have a query " - Ask the students to think why " do " is used in this sentence. - O/C discussion , get some volunteers to answer the question - If not clear yet, give other examples using the same structure.( e.g:" I do l love you ")
- Tell the students to look at ex.5A and explain that they should work in pairs to find out and underline the expressions which introduce a question. - Give the students 2 minutes to work on it and when finished students come to board to underline.
Tell the students to look at ex.5B and explain that they should work in pairs to find out and underline the expressions which introduce an opinion. - Give the students 2 minutes to work on it and when finished students come to board to underline.
- Project the Language Bank 1.3 page :128 - Tell the students to repeat the sentence after you." Could I ask a question? " - Divide the sentence in parts like " Could I ? ", " Ask a question" - Nominate a student to repeat it - Group the students like " Girls; Could I ask a question? ", " Boys:Could I ask a question? ", Choral Drilling : " Could I ask a question? " - Do the same with the following sentences
Project (or give out the copies ) exercise 1.3 from Language Bank. - Tell the students that they are going to find and correct the mistakes in the conversation. (WC) - When finished, tell the students to work in pairs to practise the dialogue and switch when complete.