To provide specific information and detailed listening practice using a text about Why do people use the internet? in the context of Street reviews
To provide fluency speaking practice in a Answering questions in the context of Why do you use the internet?
Procedure (46-61 minutes)
- Chest Hand out 1. - Tell the students that they will work in pairs. - They will match the definitions with the words. - Let them get help from each other when necessary. - Give them 3 mins. - When they finish, write the answer key on the board. - Let them check their answers. - On the next exercise they will fill in the gaps with the words they matched. - Give them 3 more mins. - Board the answers quickly, let them check.
- Ask the students some questions like; *Do you use the internet very often? *Do you think internet is useful or unnecessary? *How many hours do people spend on the internet everyday? - Elicit the answers.
- Give the second hand out to SS. - Tell them that on the first exercise, they will listen and write the names first. - PLay the recording once and then SS will answer these two questions for each speaker; 1. Why does he/ she use the internet? 2. How much time does he/ she spend on the internet? - Remind that they will write two or three words maximum. Use ICQs (Instruction Checking Questions) : - Will you write sentences or just words? - Will you write about the hours or days and months?
- Give the script to SS. - Tell them to listen carefully and fill in the gaps. - Play the recording once. - When they finish, Let them check their answers with their partners. - Plat the recording for the last time, pause when needed and check the answers, Whole class feedback.
- Write these questions on the board ; 1. Why do you use the internet? 2. How much time do you spend on the internet? - Tell SS that they have to answer these two questions and they have to write theirs answers down. - Monitor their answers from a distance while SS are on task. - Note down the mistakes and do error correction on the board if necessary.