To provide gist and detailed reading about big events ( festivals around the world)
To provide clarification of word such as humble, bizarre, squishy
Procedure (38-45 minutes)
- Project four pictures of different food festivals on the board. - Ask Ss to think and tell what food each picture is about and what happens in each festival.
- Instruct Ss to think about each item and link them to one of the events. - Pass the HO and ask them to work in pairs. - Remind them to use the mini-dictionary at the bottom of the paper. - Check each pair's responses and ask why questions to get them talking.
- instruct Ss to answer one gist question. - Give the HO to Ss. - Ask Ss to read the article fast in 2 minutes. - Ask them to check their answers in pairs. - Check the answer as WC.
- Set the context and try to elicit the intended words. - If elicitation is not successful, give the word and follow MPF order in teaching. - Ask CCQs to make sure they are all clear on the words.
- Instruct Ss to the purpose of the task. - Pass the hand out after the instruction. - Ask Ss to work individually and answer the questions. - Ask them to check their responses in pairs. - Hand out the responses to each student to check.
- Instruct Ss to guess the words. -Pass the HO and ask them to do the task individually. - Ask them to check their responses in pairs. - Elicit the words from each student and clarify on each based on MFP order. If needed, teach the word.
- Put the questions on the board. - Group Ss in 3 or 4. - Ask them to discuss all the questions in their groups. - Monitor to check their accuracy.