Eda ASLAN / 13.03.2014/ TP1 - Practice
Elementary - A2 level
To provide an opportunity for ss to do a practice about the usages of verb 'to be' and help them to consolidate the difference between the possessive 's and the contraction of 's in the context of some examples from the book and games. Students will be able to use the verb of 'to be' in negative, positive and question forms.
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a conversation by using possessive 's and contraction 's
To provide detailed listening practice using a text about introducing yourself in the context of meeting people by using verb of to be.
Procedure (30-45 minutes)
- Show some pictures about yourself - Make sentences about yourself by using the verb of to be.
- Give different pictures to students. - Ask them to come to the middle of the class one by one and make sentences about the pictures by using the verb of to be. - Ask some questions about the pictures. * Is she a doctor? * Is it black? * What is her name? * What is this? * Is he a celebrity? etc.
- Ss complete the practice exercise about the verb of to be. ( top of the left part on page.9) - Listen T1.17 and check the answers. - Ss compare the answers with their partners. Teacher monitors. - Elicit the answers and give feedbacks.
- write two examples on board about by using 's as possession and construction * My name's Eda. * Eda's brother is 20 years old. - Elicit what 's ' means in each sentences. - Put prompts on board and and asks students to complete examples with " 's" and to produce their own examples of their own. - Ss write the prompts on their notebooks and fill in the gaps and make their own sentences. Prompts: Mario Italien. Tina brother footballer. John car fast. - Ss mingle and compare their answers. Teacher monitors. - Give feedback by asking the answers.
- Stick the sentences of activity 2 on a whiteboard.( page: 9) - Write " 's : possession ' and " 's : contraction" on two different paper. Put them on a table. - Demo at the beginning of the activity. - Ask a volunteer to come to the board and distinguish the type of " 's " according to the related sentence and stick the paper next to the sentence. - Ask a volunteer to choose one of her/his friends to read the sentence. Sentences: * Sonia's Italian. * She's a teacher. * Her brother's wife isn't English. * Her brother's children are beatiful.
- Play the T1.9 and ask ss to choose the sentence they hear. ( page 9) - Ss compare the answers with their partners. Teacher monitors. - Elicit the correct answers and write them on board. - Tell the sentence few times, thus ss hear the correct pronounciation. ( Modelling) - Ask ss to repeat the sentence both as a chorally and İndividually. ( Drilling)
- Ss stand up und make a circle in the middle of the classroom. - Ss choose a paper from the box. One name, one country name and one age are written on the paper. They make sentences with this information and throw the ball. - Demo at the beginning of the game. For example: My name is Elizabeth. I'm from England. I'm 13 years old. - The one, who catches the ball, makes sentences with her/hisriend's information. For example; Her name is Elizabeth. She's from England. She's 13 years old. Then she tells her own informations according to the paper, which she/he picks. -Throw the ball to another friend. - Continue until everybody speaks.