different ways of giving emphasis
Functional language (different ways of giving emphasis)
Pronunciation (emphatic intensifiers)
Procedure (40-45 minutes)
- Put the question (do you often lose things?) on the board. - Ask students to think about it and have a short discussion as WC.
- Refer to the picture on the page and ask for a description. - Ask Ss to listen to the conversation. - put them in pairs and ask them to check their answers. - check the answer as WC.
- Ask Ss to listen to the conversation again and write the missing words. - Put them in pairs and ask them to discuss the role of these words.
- Write some examples from the conversation with and without the intensifiers. (you can show the sentences through projector as well) - Show the place of the intensifiers in the sentences. - Elicit the structures before explaining. - Ask them to go through analysis part and do it alone. - Put them in pairs to check their answers. - Show the answers on the board and ask them to check.
- Change the seat of one student to change pair pattern. - Ask students to match the items in practice 1 individually. - Put them in pairs to check their responses.
- Put two sentences on the board. - Show that intensifiers are stressed when they appear in the sentences. - Drill these two sentences to practice the stress placed on the intensifiers.
- Ask Ss to go back to practice 1. - Put them in pairs and ask them to add intensifiers to each sentence. - Give them audio script HOs and ask them to check their responses. Explain answers can vary. (Their already responses are correct). - Play the audio and let them mark stressed intensifiers on the page. - Group Ss in two to practice each conversation with the appropriate stress pattern.