Copy of Teaching Practice 6b
Our main aim this lesson is to practise listening skills; first listening for gist and then for specific detail (intensive listening) using the medium of song, in the context of cars and car journeys. The lesson is part of the unit topic 'wheels'.
Our secondary aim is semi-controlled speaking; to practise Ss' productive skills through peer discussion. The activity will give Ss opportunity to express their opinions and views - with prompting questions on the WB to give them an entrance point.
Procedure (35-47 minutes)
1) *Project an 'open road' scene onto the WB and play background 60's driving music to make the activity sensory. * Ask Ss to imagine the scene... they are on a car trip. They feel free (Ss know this word in previous lesson). The roof is down. They can feel the wind in their hair. What can they smell? What can they see? Where are they going? (allow Ss to imagine ). Who is with you? * you turn on the radio - what music can you hear? Is it a love song? * You see a 'welcoming light' (gesture flashing light)... what is it? You are tired. You need somewhere to sleep (elicit hotel)... should you pull in? (gesture). (yes). * Do you like the music? Do you feel free? * Switch off music - and slowly back to the classroom! CCQs for understanding and for vocab. Were you taking a journey on the train or in a car? (car) You were tired, did you carry on driving? (no I pulled-in for a rest) How did you know there was a hotel there? (I saw a welcoming light) Did you hear music? (yes). 2) * Ask Ss what kind of music they think was playing on the radio . Could it be a love song? * Ask Ss what love songs they know/ like? Do they know any Turkish ones? Are they happy love songs or sad love songs? (Mime happy sad). Key words: Pull in / welcoming light/ T elicit, check, write on board.
1) * Elicit key useful vocab (control, closely, cruellest, caressed,) using mime, flashcards, and short stories): Jukebox - flashcard Closely - flashcard of people dancing closely (and mime) Control - flashcard of car crash. What do you think happened? Elicit driver losing control ( and mime) Caressed - stroking a rabbit (mime) Cruellest- flashcard two cruel animal rights posters. Elicit cruel, most cruel - cruellest.
1) * Demonstrate activity to WG using the worksheet. Project onto WB. Tell Ss the pictures tell a love story, that is the lyrics to a popular love song and that they will try to imagine what the story is by putting the pictures in order. * WG discuss what is happening in picture a. 2)* Ss work in pairs to predict a story from the pictures; discussing what they think is happening in each picture and in what order the story should go. Ss have 4 mins to do this. * ICQ "are we working individually or in pairs?" (pairs) " Are we going to guess the story? (yes) " We have 4 minutes. Are we going to be work fairly quickly or talk in detail? (fairly quickly).
1) * Demonstrate first activity with Ss using worksheet on the WB . Ss read the lyrics to the song and listen to the audio recording to self-check their own predicted version of the story. Briefly say who Gene Pitney is and where Tulsa is in America. 2) * Ss have 2 mins to read lyrics and will then listen to the audio once. 3) * Ss check their answers in pairs - T monitors and Ss can listen again, if necessary. 4) * T ask Ss if they predicted the story in the same order? (Yes/ No). Point Ss in the direction of the answer key on board A-F- but don't discuss. NB; 'B' could come at the end of the story or the beginning. Ask class if anyone put it at the beginning. Why? (flashback)
1) * Demonstrate second listening activity using worksheet on WB: filling in the gaps. 2) * Remind Ss of key vocab on the board. 3) * Ss listen to a recording of the song and fill in the word gaps from the list provided. (3 mins) 4) * Ss check their answers in pairs. T monitors. Ss listen again if necessary. 4)* T writes answer key on WB Comprehension questions: "Who was in Tulsa?" (The man's girlfriend) "Did the man in the story get to Tulsa?" (No) "Why did the man in the story decide not to got home to Tulsa?" (Because he fell in love with another woman)
1) * Ask Ss how to discuss how they feel about the characters in the story, This is semi-controlled discussion as Ss are guided by three prompting questions written on the board. a) What do you think the man in the song? b) What do you think of the woman he met in the hotel? c) What do you think is the cruellest way to break up with a partner?