The Longest Bus Ride, Superlative Adjectives
Elementary, A2 level
To provide clarification, review and practice of superlative adjectives in the context of the longest bus ride
To provide clarification of adjectives in the context of the longest bus ride
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about OZBUS an exciting way to travel from London to Sydney in the context of the longest bus ride
Procedure (38-59 minutes)
1. Show the pictures on the board. -Do you know these places? These are the most famous tourist sights in the world. (Ss keep guessing) -Provide the answers on the board.
3. Read and match the words and the definitions. -ultimate | ˈʌltɪmət | (b) -backpacker | ˈbækpækə | (a) -tiger reserve | rɪˈzɜːv | (c) -break down | breɪk 'daʊn | (e) -take turns | teɪk 'tɜːnz | (d) a) sb who travels for fun, has not very much money, and carries a backpack b) final/ the most important thing that sb hopes to achieve in the future c) a piece of land set apart for a special purpose d) do the same thing one after another e) a machine stops working
1. Read the text quickly. (You have 3 minutes to read it answer the question) -Did you guess correctly? -Which of these pictures' names did you see in the text? 2. Read it again carefully. Write T for True and F for False. -The Ozbus is the shortest bus travel in the world. (F) -Ozbus passengers see more places than people who travel to Sydney by plane. (T) -Jeff Lane thinks Taj Mahal was the worst place of all. (F) -He thinks Taj Mahal was the best tourist sight of all. (T) -Jeff Lane thinks that tiger reserve was the least exciting place of all. (F) -The best thing happened in Tehran. (F) -Camping at night was more comfortable than staying at a hotel. (F)
1. Fill in the blanks. Use the adjectives in the text. -The Ozbus is the .......bus ride in the world. -People can see the ....... beautiful places in the world. -The ...... thing was the Taj Mahal. 2. Underline superlative adjectives in the article. Then complete the table below. (the longest/ the most beautiful/ the best/ the most exciting/ the worst/ the greatest)
1. Show some pictures on PPT. Ask questions. -the picture of 3 snails -the pic. of 3 footballers -the pic. of a house -the pic. of my mom's cooking 2. Clarify the meaning. Superlatives are used to show 1 is different in a group of things/ ideas. Usually, we can find "in/of/ever" at the end of this kind of sentence. 3. Form short adj: great/ the greatest/ the+adj+.... longer adj: exciting/ .........../ .................... irregular adj: good/ ........../....................... irregular adj: bad/ ............/..................... the+short adj.+est the most/ least+ long adj good------> the best bad--------> the worst far----------> the farthest 4. Pronunciation Drill some sentences. Use the TL. change beautiful & place -It is the most beautiful place in the world. crowded city interesting park expensive restaurant big sea small town hot place cold place
Write sentences about these three boys. Use "of all" at the end of your sentence
1. Make questions using superlative adjectives. (the + short adj+ est) (the most+ long adj) eg. What/ cold/ place you visited? What was the coldest place you visited? -What/ hot/ place you visited? -What/ beautiful/ building you saw? -What/ amazing/ experience of your last journey?
1. Mingling exercise. Please stand up. Ask 3 people the questions you made. Use superlative adjectives in your answers.