Copy Past Simple Lesson
To be able to produce the target language 'Past Simple' in writing
To provide practice in scanning for detail about the reading based on Mandela
Procedure (46-62 minutes)
* The teacher will put some pictures of famous historical figures on the board. * Elicit names' and occupations of the figures. * Teacher to elicit any other famous figures. * Show picture of Mandela. Ask Ss: Who is this? * Tell the Ss that they will be doing a reading on Mandela.
* Pre-check Vocabulary through picture match activity in groups. -law, interested, prison, freedom, divorce, marriage. Drill pronunciation if necessary. (GW) *Give the text to the Ss- Scan for questions on Exercise 1. Ss to compare their answers with their peers. Check as a class. (Ind-PW-WC)
* Write the model sentence on the board. -He finished university in 1943. CCQ:Who finished? What did he finish? Ss to show meaning of 'finished' using gestures. If problem- show (through timeline or gestures) *Put Ss in pairs. *Instruct Ss for Ex.2: "Find the Past Simple tense of the verbs in the boxes in pairs" *Draw a table on the board and get Ss to come to the board and write the answers. Highlight the verbs endings for 'study, marry, stay' (consonant + y: -ied, vowel + y: -ed) * Clean the board, and get the Ss to pronounce the past simple form of the verbs again. "What is Past Simple for (verb)" Drill pronunciation if necessary.
* Ss to do Ex.3. "Fill in the gaps with the Past Simple" -Individually. *Ss compare their answers in pairs- then as a class
*Ss to write sentences, to describe someone in their family based on their past. *Monitor and check sentences written. *Ss then describe their chosen family member to their peers / groups
* Students to describe famous people on their cards to each other and make guesses about who the historical figure is and fill in the answers sheet. Students will be walking around the room, explaining to each other who they have on their cards, but not tell the names. --Give Example when giving instructions (Monitor Ss during this stage, to see if there needs to be error correction)