TP-7: A Brief History of Time Zones
Pre-intermediate (A2) level
By the end of this lesson, SS will have practiced gist, scan, and close reading skills in the context of a history of time zones.
- To provide SS with fluency speaking practice using the TL vocab
Procedure (38-53 minutes)
Ask the SS the following discussion Q's: -their travel experiences -if they like to travel - what they don't like when they travel - what happens when they get on a plane, if they have traveled far or near - what's the longest time they have been on a plane, did they sleep on the plane, did they feel tired after? - and what do they think today's lesson is about? - Elicit "Time Zones", write it on WB * Give Ho of World time zones map - show presentation. Focus on US, Canada, Russia having several time zones vs. Turkey having only one time zone. - ask SS: "so then what is a time zone?"
*Give HO of vocab pics- one for each pair - Write on WB: 1.history 2. time zones 3. longitude 4. latitude 5. invisible 6. Prime Meridian 7. Equator 8. Greenwich 9. GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) OR UTC (Coordinated Universal Time) 10. DST (Daylight Saving Time) 11. Jet lag - Ask the SS pairs to match these numbers with the pictures in the HO. - Elicit ans and refer to presentation map image - Drill pronunciation chorally, by groups, and individually Here T can point out that Turkey follows Eastern European Time (UTC +2)
- SS will follow a jigsaw reading ex - Group SS into 4 gps - Ask the SS to put the paragraph together *Give a set of paragraph sentence slips to each group *Give completed paragraph slips to each individual in the gp. Then regroup (chose all the 1's from each group together, etc.) -Ask SS to match headings to the appropriate paragraph. *Give paragraph heading slips to each group - Then do pyramidal checking: delegate a (strong) student from each gp. to check ans with the other gp. in front of the class. Ask one (or two if needed) students to describe in general what they understand about the text given that it is in order now. *Give HO of full text for the next ex.
- In pairs, ask SS to read the text again and answer the T and F Q's, underlining any false words where necessary and correcting them *Give SS HO on T & F ex. *Give SS ans. key
- In pairs, ask the students to look at the world map, and to 'find a place which...' *Give HO 'Find a place' - SS practice in pairs and then in groups and share their lists of places
- T asks SS to stand up and mingle and discuss jet lag. Demo if necessary. *Give Slips with 3 Q's to discuss freely - Delayed error correction where necessary