Teaching practice 7, Writing
Intermediate, B1 level
To provide writing practice of a formal suggestion text in the context of Traveling tips
To provide review of imperative in the context of Traveling tips
Procedure (43-53 minutes)
- I will first ask them if they have ever been abroad and let them talk about their traveling experiences - I will show them slide 1 and have them discuss in pairs whether the statements in the slide are true or false. - I would ask some students to share their opinion
- I will give them slide 2 and let them find the answer to the statements of slide 1. I tell them to do exercise 2 while they are doing the first one. I will make sure through ICQs that they understand they have to do 2 tasks at the same time. * Students, trying to find the answers, are exposed to a text giving tips for people visiting China, seeing some imperatives which will be reviewed in the next stage. - I will ask them if the tips are the same in Turkey or not? and If time, I will ask them the following questions: 1. Do visitors come to Turkey a lot? 2. Do they make mistakes? 3. What kind of mistakes do they make?
- I will choose some sentences from the text to review imperative. In this stage, the pronunciation(slide 3) of imperatives as orders and giving advice are dealt with. * Students learn the format in which a formal suggestion text is written and know what to write in it ( religion, food and drink, shopping, clothes) (slide 4)
- I will give them a context that they will help me with what to do and what not to do in Turkey. I will show them slide 5 and let them each write 4 things to do and 4 things not to do. They should write it to a friend, so I let them know that it is OK to write phrases or to use contractions. - Then, I will ask them to exchange papers and let them write 3 new things to do and not to do in the new paper. If I have the, I do this one more time so that there are 10 things to do and 10 things not to do. Note: If the number of the students is odd, you can ask let them do the activity in groups. * Students categorize different ideas regarding giving advice to a friend that will be used to write a formal suggestion text in the next task - I will show them slide 6 and tell them to write a formal suggestion text for people using their previous task.
- I will let them know how they have achieved the aim of the task and read some good examples they have written - Some errors are dealt with but I will tell them that their writing will be fully checked later and be given to them tomorrow.