Teaching practice 5, Speaking
Intermediate, B1 level
To provide fluency speaking practice through conversations and discussions in the context of ways to keep in touch with friends
Reading for gist and listening for specific information in a text about a global survey on how people keep in touch
Procedure (34-49 minutes)
- I will draw 29 short lines on the board each given a number. -I will put the colored pictures with their specific number (slide 1-8) on the wall before the class starts. There are 29 pictures which the first letter of each will be used to form " keep in touch , poll, survey, result in" that I had provided the space on the board for their letters. The pictures are in order in the handout but I will change the order while sticking them on the wall. The pictures should be colored so that students guess what they are easier. - I ask students to go around the class and guess what the picture is so that they write the first letter of the name that represents the picture on the number on the short lines on the board. For example, the first picture is kite, so they have to write k in the first short line on the board. I do one or two as an example for them. * Students go around the class guessing the pictures, trying to write the first letter of the word on the board
- Once they have done the previous activity, words like " keep in touch, survey, poll, result in" are on the board, so I will ask those students who know the words to explain it to others - I will show them slide 4 and make sure they know them all. Then, I would tell them the correct pronunciation * Students try to convey the meaning of " keep in touch, survey, poll, result in" to their friends - Finally, I will let the students that we are going to read a text but they have to guess the subject based on the words on the board * Students try to predict the topic of the reading in groups. - Slide 10 is shown as the feedback
- I will give them slide 11 and ask them to predict which option of each sentence is true. * Students discuss their opinion in pairs. - I will play the audio so that they check their answers. In case the previous stages take longer, I will just show the answer key to them.
- I will ask them to discuss the reading in pairs in terms of the information being strange or usual. I let them know to use the words they have learned. * Students share their opinion in pairs - I will monitor to write some errors. - If time, I will change partners. - Then, I will show slide 13 and ask them to discuss in groups. * Students discuss the following questions: 1. How many close friends do you have? 2.How do you keep in touch with your best friends? 3.Do you write letters? 4. Do you gossip? 5.Do women gossip more than men? 6. Is technology good for keeping in touch? 7.What are the advantages of face-to-face interaction?
- I will write some errors on the board and let students correct them and then correct them myself if needed