Teaching practice 4, grammar
Elementary, A1+ level
To provide clarification and practice of possessive s in the context of Shakespeare's tragic families
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of either TV serial or their own family
Procedure (39-52 minutes)
- I show them the reading again to remind them of the reading. - I ask them to do ex.1 on p.31.
- I show them slide 4 and let them know that they have to put them in the correct form in slide 3. * Students try to figure out the rules of possessive s themselves - I show slide 5 so that they could check their answer
- I show them slide 6 and try to summarize what they have found as the rules - CCQ - I let them know the different pronunciation of s, z, iz. * Students repeat some words to understand the pronunciation better
- I tell them to do ex.2 on p.31. (Slide 7) - I will pre-teach Rival and Revenge. * Students find the 4 mistakes in the text about tragic families.
- I ask them to do ex.1 on p.141. ( slide 8) * Students try using possessive s to correct the sentences both using 's and '. - I ask them to tell me the correct form using ': the mobile phone of Metin, the bag of Hadija, the shoes of Salma, the laptop of Liz
- I will show them the picture in slide 9. If they know the TV serial, I will show them slide 10 and let them talk to each other to find the answers in slide 10 which is related to the picture in slide 9. If they do not know the TV serial, I will show them slide 12 and tell them to write some sentences about themselves. Then, they should use slide 13 as questions sample to ask and answer each other about those sentences they have written before. * Students practice using possessive s either about a TV serial or about themselves. But, there are some sample sentences so that they could use it as model