Teaching practice 2, Practicing preposition of place
Elementary, A1+ level
To provide Ss with clarification/ review and practice of prepositions of place in the context of where people are from
Speaking & vocabulary
Procedure (40-51 minutes)
- I will put them in groups and tell them to underline " in, from, and near" in the "lead-in" handout * the students are highlighting the target language themselves
- I will cut the sentences in the "matching form" hand out into words and give each group the words so that they form sentences based on the colors * students try to put the colored countries, cities, places, and distances in the correct sentence.
- I will show the colored answer key on the board so that they check their answers - I will review them and ask individuals to make sure everybody has understood - I will ask the following questions: 1. Do we use "from" only for countries? 2. Do we use "from" for cities? 3. Do we use "in" or "from" for distance? 4. Do we use "in" for countries or cities? 5. Do we use "near" only for countries? 6. Do we use "near" only for cities? 7. Is it OK to use near for post office and train station? 8. Is it OK to say " I live near from ITI? 9. Do we use "near" for close or far distance? - I will ask them to repeat some sentences to check their pronunciation.
- I will show them ex.1 in "handout 2" and tell them they choose the correct answer in pairs and then I will give them the handout. Finally, I will show them the answer key. * students try to choose between " in, from, and near" in the text. - I will show them ex.1 (below the grammar box) in "handout 1" and ask them to complete it in pairs. I will show check their answers. * students try to fill in the gap using "in, near, and from" without having any options to choose from
- I will ask students to do ex.2 in "handout 2". I will go through the words in case they do not know the meaning. I will ask them to speak about it with a friend. They should not write about themselves
- I will ask the students to gather information about their classmates using "speaking activity" handout. * students will use ex.1 on "handout 1" and ex.2 on "handout 2" to gather information about their friends, completing the table in the "speaking activity" handout. - Once they have completed the table, I will ask students to tell their friends about other friends not themselves. - Finally, I will ask the following questions: 1. Who lives in Istanbul? 2. Who lives near ITI? 3. Who lives far from ITI? 4. Who lives outside the city? 5. Who likes to live in village?