Some/ any/a lot of - Demonstratives this/that/these/those
To provide clarification of Some/any/ a lot - this/these/that/those in the context of A new flat
To provide accuracy speaking practice in a building a dialogue conversation in the context of describing rooms
Procedure (34-55 minutes)
I will set up the situation, personalize the topic, present some pictures of my house and brother's house, then a photo of two kitchens to let them get to know what is some/any/ a lot of means
- I will use the pictures about the two kitchens and give them something like a story and use " Some/ any/ a lot of" -There will be occasional writing of the forms that I want to highlight and work on it. - then I will highlight the new form to let them figure out that we use plural after them and let them the meaning of them - Ask CCQs to make sure they understand the new language.
- I will give the students a handout where there are some sentences have some mistakes and let them know that each sentence has only one mistake. The time limit for that three minutes. - Ask students to work in pairs to decide where is the mistake, and then give the correct answer. - I will check the answer with the whole class and if there are any different answers we will discuss them.
Divide the students into two groups ( blue and green) and give them cards with some items on it -Present a picture of another kitchen. - Let them ask about the items they have on cards the other group. the other group has to answer. -they will take turns until they finish the cards.
- I will use colored cards stick them on the board. sometimes just single card other times two cards. - I come closer to the cards and point to them saying that " these are cards" then go to just one card and point saying that " this is a card" - Move and from a distance, I point to the card saying that " that is a card" and the same for the two cards saying " those are cards" - Write on the board the new language that I want to highlight. - Ask CCQs to make sure they understand the new language - Mention the color of the card and stand in different position, to let them be more familiar with it e.g. I mention the red card and point to it from a distance they should say " that is a red card"
- The students will have in this handout an exercise with pictures and they need to complete by one of (This/that/these/those) depending on what they see in the picture if the speaker points to something and it is close, so they will complete this, and so on. -The students will do the activity first individually then they check answers in pairs.The teacher will provide an answer key and let them check their answers.
- I will divide the students into two groups again, they will be standing in two lines, each time there is a different person at the beginning of the line. they should take turns ask them to look at the board when a sentence appears they should point to what is in the slide depending on it is close or they need to point from a distance. the winner who will take the action first and do it correctly
- I will ask students to come up with two things and point to them according to how far or close that/ this thing. -The students should come up with sentences like " this is my pen" " these are my shoes" " this is my T-shirt"