TP-5: At the call center
By the end of this lesson, students will have practiced their gist and close reading skills using a text about a call center worker.
To provide fluency speaking practice in the context of an interview with a call center worker.
To express likes and dislikes - opinions - about a job.
Procedure (43-65 minutes)
-Set the context of call center through passing pictures of call centers and call center workers to the SS. - Elicit descriptions about the pictures and write them on the WB. Elicit "call center" and "call center worker".
- Ask students: what does a call center worker do? have you ever spoken to one? where do we find call centers? - Introduces the text stating that it is an interview with an Indian call center worker, talking about her work
- Give SS HO with questions. - Demo on the board. Ask them to read the text in 3min and then match the question with the corresponding paragraph. - In pairs, SS check their answers. - WCFB
-Give SS handout with matching exercise -Give demo -Ask students to look at the text, find the words, and then complete it, in pairs -WCFB. Find out words they don't know. Elicit their meaning - Drill pronunciation as you give the answers where needed.
- Ask students to read the text and answer T and F questions, in pairs. - WCFB. Discuss with students the evidence (why's and why not's)
- In pairs, ask students to write down the things Rajeshwari likes and doesn't like about her job. - Demo, then give HO. - WCFB, T writes answers on the WB.
- Regroup the class - SS select one of three job location slips - SS imagine that they are a call center worker at a bank- yapı kredi bankası, an airport- atatürk havalimanı, or travel agency- istanbul seyahat. - ICQ: check they understand it's their job: Who works at a bank? SS raise their slips. - SS write 5 things they like and don't like about their job (express opinions). Then discuss with partner. - T monitors conversation and provides delayed error correction, as necessary