Men and Women / 1st split
intermediate 3 level
To provide a controlled listening practice for gist and detailed information.
To provide practice for appearance vocabulary.
Procedure (40-83 minutes)
-Ask Students to mingle in class and ask each other questions and expect their partners to answer with nor YES neither NO. if one of them says yes/no they lose the game. - In pairs, ask SS to look at the picture on page 48 / 49 and compare the two pictures and answer the 3 questions -Students check answers with each other. - Ask students to share their ideas with the class.
- Ask ss to discuss in pairs whether they are good listeners or no / Why. - Ask some students to share their partner's opinion with the class. - As a class, discuss some characteristics of a good listener.
- Have students watch to the first part of the video and not write anything. -In pairs ask SS to discuss the general idea, characters and the setting of the video. -As a whole class feedback, SS share ideas with the class.
-Play the video again and ask students to to choose the correct answer in exercise c page 50. - SS check answers with their partners. - Provide an answer key as a feedback. - If necessary, Play the video again and ask ss to go over ex D in the same page. - As a feedback, ask ss ( What is the conclusion at the end of the video). - Call on different students to share their opinions and discuss as a class.
- In small groups, have students write a list of tips to be a better listener and present them to the class or another group, explaining their reasons for each tip.
- In pairs, ask students to go over the first ex and complete the descriptions with the words from the box - Have ss compare their answers with a partner and discuss the questions - SS Share their answers with the class
- Highlight the meaning of a difficult word by providing extra examples - Clarify that the verbs are both regular and irregular in past form - Mention that the verb "wash" is pronounced with T sound at end in past form, while shaved is pronounced with a D sound at the end
- Have ss match the words in the bank to their meaning. - SS check answers with each other. -SS share their answers as a class feedback. - SS discuss the questions in ex C with each other and share interesting facts about their partners