Teaching Practice 8
To provide clarification and practice of simple past, irregular verbs in the context of meeting friends.
To provide Ss practice in speaking for accuracy and fluency in the context of meeting friends.
Procedure (29-45 minutes)
- Introduce Zoe and Alison and Li and Jon who are best friends and tell the Ss where and when they first met. - Ask them: (write the questions on the board) When did you meet your best friend? Where did you meet your best friend?
- Give them two short texts about two best friends and have them read and answer this question: Which story is interesting? Why? - Put the Ss in pairs to share their answers.
- Show the texts on the board. - Have the Ss underline all the main verbs first and then, circle the regular verbs. - Put some examples of regular and irregular verbs along with their simple forms on the board. - Nominate Ss to go to the board and match the present form of the verbs with their past form. - Ask them CCQs about irregular and regular verbs and try to elicit answers from them.
- Clarify the present form of simple past, irregular verbs. I went to hospital. Someone took my money. - Clarify the negative form of simple past, irregular verbs. I didn't go to hospital. I didn't have any money.
- Give a gap-fill handout to the Ss and have them complete the sentences with the past simple form of the verbs. - Pair check. - Ask them: Can you guess who the person is? - WCF
- Clarify the question form (Yes/No) of simple past, irregular verbs. Did he go to a chemist? No, he didn't go to a chemist. He went to a hospital. Did she have money? Yes, she had money.
- Give a handout to the Ss including some sentences extracted from the texts and have them make change the sentences to quetions. - Put the Ss in pairs and ask them to check their answers. - WCF
- Pair the Ss. - Give them a handout including a table. Have the Ss interview each other and complete the table about each other's best friends. - Ask them to find a new partner and tell him/her about their previous partner's best friend. - WCF - Error correction - Give a lost of 2 common verbs along with their past forms to the Ss