Teaching Practice 6
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about Susan's hometown in the context of places in a city/town
To provide clarification of vocabulary in the context of places in a city/town
Procedure (32-45 minutes)
- Show pictures of Istanbul and try to elicit the word 'hometown' through a game similar to hangman. - Write 'hometown' on the board and have the Ss brainstorm on places in a town/city.
- Put the Ss in groups. - Give some pictures and sentences including the new vocabulary to each group and have the match the pictures with sentences. . - Show pictures of the new vocabulary and do WCF. - Work on the pronunciation of new vocabulary through repetition and drilling.
- Write a question on the board about Susan and her hometown Bath. - Have the Ss listen and read to Susan talking about her hometown Bath and answer the question. - Have the Ss discuss their answers in pairs. - WCF
- Have the Ss read about Bath again indivudually. - Give them a True/False handout and have them work individually and decide which sentence is true and which one is false according to the text. - Have the Ss work with their partners to correct the false sentences. - WCF
- Put the Ss in groups. - Have them speak about their hometown. - Give them some prompts. Talk about it's: Places Famous things Food and restaurants