Upper-intermediate B2 level
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about regrets in the context of the most common regrets that people have
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of regrets
Procedure (42-61 minutes)
- T will give Ss the lyrics of Frank Sinatra's My Way. T will ask Ss to read the lyrics and discuss with their partners if they know the song or not. After Ss discuss, T will ask Ss if they know the song. T will tell that they will listen to the song. T tells Ss to talk their partner what the song is about. T asks WC and listens some of the answers. T elicits the word "regret". - T asks Ss to talk with their partners the regrets they have. T asks the Ss if they want to share, T listens some of them.
- T starts to tell a short story about a regret that she has. "I have one regret as well. I love riding horses, but I have never learned to ride a horse professionally. I wish I had learned it. I can't cry over the spilled milk now..." - T puts the image of the idiom on the board after she finishes to speak. T asks "What do you think about its meaning?" T listens to the answers. T asks "Does anyone know what are these sentences are called?" T elicits the word "idiom" and writes under the image on the board. - T divides the class into two groups. T chests the HO. T tells "We have two dialogues. Group A will have dialogue 1, group B will have dialogue 2. Read the dialogues, discuss the meaning of the idioms." - T monitors, Ss discuss. After discussing ends, T asks Group A to read the dialogue and tell the meaning of the idiom to Group B. T asks Group B to read the dialogue and tell the meaning of the idiom to the Group A.
- T chests HO. T tells "We will read an article about some research that has been done about what people regret in life. Before we read, discuss these sentences with your partner and say if you think the sentences are true or not." Ss have 2 minutes. - T asks Ss what they think about the sentences.
- T chests the reading text. T tells Ss to read the text alone then check the sentences if they were really true or false. - T monitors while Ss read. - Ss do pair check. - T asks their results, Ss talk and discuss the results.
- T writes 75%, 66.6% and 25% on the board. T asks Ss "With your partner, try to find these percentages in the text. They are not written in numbers." - Ss read the text, they try to find these percentages in the text. - T asks Ss if they could find them. Some Ss may answer "yes". If so T asks them to tell the classroom where in the text and which percentage they find. T puts the images of percentages on the board and writes "three-quarters", "two-thirds" and "a quarter" under the relevant images. T writes equals 75%, 66,6% and 25%. - If the answer is "no", T puts the images of the percentages on the board. First, T asks the image of "a quarter". T writes a quarter=25%. T asks Ss to try to say the "three-quarters" by showing the image. T elicits the answer by asking "How many pieces are colored?" (Three), "What do we call this piece?*showing the uncolored piece*" (a quarter) "So this is?" (three-quarters) and writes three-quarters=75%. T shows the last image and ask Ss how do they say this one. T:"How many pieces are there?" (three) T: "How many pieces are colored?" (two) T: "It is two-thirds of a pie." T writes two-thirds=66.6%
- T makes two groups. T chests an envelope with instructions on it. T: "Read the instructions and complete the exercise with your group. You have 1 minute." T gives the two envelopes to each group. - T monitors. - When Ss finish, T "Leave the papers, check the other group's top 5 regrets and do not touch the papers." Ss look at the different answers. - T "Sit down with your group. We will listen to the top 5 regrets in reverse starting from 5, check if you got them right." - Ss listen and check. - T "How many did you get right?"
- T: With your pairs discuss the top 20 regrets and talk about if you have similar regrets or not. - T monitors, writes errors on a piece of paper. - Last 2-3 minutes T does delayed error correction on the board with the WC.