A2 Elementary level
To provide gist reading practice using a text about houseswap
To provide fluency and accuracy speaking practice in a conversation in the context of adjectives
Procedure (25-38 minutes)
- T shows an image of a house on the WB. Asks Ss what they see and asks them to describe the house. - T shows 3 different images for the vocabulary "big, new, noisy, quiet, small, old". T elicits the words from the Ss. T shows "cottage" "hospital" and "airport" pictures with the adjectives to teach these words before the gist reading.
- T chests HO. T tells Ss to do exercise 1 match the words with their opposites. Ss will do it alone. They will have 30 seconds and then they will PC. T shows the exercise on the board, chooses 4 Ss and checks the answers on the board. - T unfolds the HO. T tells to read the text (exercise 2). After Ss are finished T tells Ss "Now we will listen to Jane and underline the words she says." T checks if there is a need for listening again. If yes, Ss listen again. Ss PC. T shows the exercise on the board, chooses 4 Ss and checks the answers on the board. - T chests the HO. T tells Ss to with your pairs talk about your house. T demos the exercise with a strong student. T: "I live in a "flat" on Eşitler Street. It's in Istanbul. It's lovely and old. I like it." T gives the HO. S does the same and T tells Ss to talk with their partners.
- T shows 3 images of luxury houses. T asks Ss to describe the houses. T tells Ss that they can go on holiday one of these houses. T asks which one and why. When Ss answer T assigns each house to 3 Ss and writes their name under the houses. - T chests 2nd HO. T tells Ss to read the text alone. While Ss read T writes "house swap" on the board. After reading T shows "house swap" on the board and asks Ss what it means. T tries to elicit the word. T asks CCQs to Ss by asking "Person A has this house, Person B has this house." (referring to the names and houses on the board) "Person A will you swap your house with Person B?" "Person B will you swap your house with Person C?" "Person C will you swap your house with Person A?" T draws two-wayed arrows for each swapping and tells the meaning.
- T chests HO. T tells Ss to read the text and match homes 1-5 to the photos A-F. T tells Ss to do it alone. Ss have 2 minutes. T asks CCQs. "How many homes do we have?" "How many pictures do we have?" Are we doing this alone or together?" T shows the images on the board. Ss check in pairs. T chooses 5 Ss for the answers. They write the answers then WCFB.
- T chests HO. T asks Ss to read the text and write T for true and F for false for 8 sentences on the paper. Ss do it alone. They have 2 minutes. T asks ICQs. "How many sentences do we have?" "Do we write T for true?" "Do we write F for false?" "Are we doing it alone or together?" T shows the sentences on the board. Ss check in pairs. T chooses 8 Ss. Ss write the answers on the board then WCFB.
- T regroups the Ss. T shows the five homes on the HO. T tells "With your groups talk which of the five homes on Houseswap would you choose for the holidays? And why?"