A1 - Beginner level
To present and practise Simple Present with Time expressions and Adverbs of Frequency about daily routines and everyday life
To assess the students' knowledge of vocabulary about time expressions To make students talk by completing a sentence stem true for them and asking their partners.
Procedure (40-45 minutes)
- Give each ss a clipped piece of paper on which there is a question beginning with "Do you...................? e.g. Do you get up at 7 o'clock? / Do you wake up early? Do you go to bed late? / Do you have dinner? -SS will mingle asking their question and take brief notes such as name / Yes-no - Get SS to report back the answers using he/she wakes up.... as FB - Correct SS ( or elicit ) if they forget to use 3rd person "s"
- Do an example with on / in / at / before / after on WB - Hand out the HO1 -Get SS to match the time expressions with them. - Monitor and check answers
- Write randomly often, usually, never, always, sometimes on WB - Draw a percentage timeline on WB -Elicit SS by miming which one is most frequent ( always) and which one is least frequent ( never ) -Make sure to convey the meaning of these words -Model some sentences using the adverbs ( combining with time expressions) - Elicit sentences from ss - Highlight to SS where the adverb goes in the sentence - Elicit some sentences from the SS using prompts to check ss fully understand - Elicit sentences
- Hand out the HO2 covering jumbled sentences e.g. a shower / have / I / never / in the morning - Make sure SS to see the example sentence on HO -Monitor and help if needed - Pair-check if possible
- Give each SS a sentence stem e.g. I always___________________ I ________________________ in the morning - Make ss complete the sentence true for them -In pairs, they say their sentences and share their answers e.g. S1: I always eat breakfast. How about you? S2: I never eat breakfast. / I usually work on Saundays.