To provide clarify, form and pronunciation of present simple positive and negative, in the context of expats & lifestyles
Listening for gist and detailed, controlled practice of present simple
Procedure (34-51 minutes)
-T will put a man's picture on the board. T will tell his name "David" as a regard to the listening exercise after this. T will also provide the information that David is an "expat." The word expat will be written on the board. T will ask the students "Who is an expat?" and get a few answers.
-T hands out listening exercise 1 to students. T gives instructions for the listening exercise 1. - T will tell Ss that they will listen to a speech of David. - They will do the exercise alone. They will underline the correct information. This will be followed by the ICQs. "Are we going to listen to David?" "Are we doing the exercise alone or together?" "Do we underline the correct information?" -Ss check in pairs -T will check the correct answers with the Ss
- T chests the listening exercise 2. T gives the instructions, Ss will check the sentences for True/False. Ss do it alone. T hands out the tasks. T follows up with ICQs. "How many sentences are there?" "Do we put T or F for the correct sentence?" "Do we do it alone or together?" - Ss listen - Ss check in pairs * T writes 1-6 on the board, selects six students, asks them to write their answers then checks them with the WC
- T creates random groups. - T hands out the third exercise and gives instructions. T shows the questions and asks Ss to talk with their group.
- T writes four sentences on the board. Two of them are from the listening text, one positive present simple, "I live in Istanbul.", and one negative present simple, "I don't like football." "He eats Scottish food." "He doesn't read the English newspaper." - T asks the Ss the meaning of these sentences. - T asks which time do they indicate. - T asks the difference between the sentences and writes the form on the board.
- T chests the first exercise. Paper is folded. T asks students to complete the first task individually without unfolding the paper. - Ss complete the task - Ss check in pairs - T listens to the answers of the students corrects errors and pronunciation - T chests the second example unfolds the paper - T asks students to complete the second exercise unfolds the paper - Ss complete the task - Ss check in pairs - T listens to the answers of the students corrects errors and pronunciation
- T picks random the groups -T chests the grammar exercise to students. T gives instructions on how to complete the exercise. Shows the 1st exercise as an example. "Please write these 5 sentences in the present simple tense." - T writes down the sentences on the board - Ss check in pairs - T asks WC for the correct form if necessary the wrong answers
- T asks the students to write 6 sentences about themselves just like the last exercise alone. T does an example on herself - Ss share their sentences with their group - T monitors each group