TP8 Speaking/ Dilemmas
To provide fluency speaking practice in a group discussion in the context of problem solving
To provide gist and detailed reading practice using a text about dilemmas revisited in the context of problem solving
Procedure (45-55 minutes)
* Start the lesson with a quick discussion about problem pages in magazines or websites through asking 'Have you ever read problem pages in magazines or websites?' 'Why do people write to columns like this?' 'Would you ever write asking for advice? Why? / Why not? 'Would you ever write giving advice? Why? / Why not?
* Ss just read the three titles and predict the content of each letter in groups. * Discuss their predections as a class without telling them if they are correct or not. * Use definitions, short stories and pictures to convey the meaning of solicitor and accountancy * Give ss 3 minutes to read and check in pairs. * Go through the answers with the class.
* Ss are asked to make notes about the people in the list thinking about questions 1-3. * Attract their atention to the useful language section(handout) and tell them that they can use this language to create their own sentences. * Tell ss that they can ask for any word or phrase they need at this stage. * Give them 8 minutes to work individually * monitor while they are working.
* Put ss into small grpoups (or pairs if there aren't many ss). * Refer them to Useful Language section again. * Ask ss to compare their answers to the questions in exercise 1. * Ss try to reach an agrement as a group about the best solutio. * Encourage ss to persuade each other of their point of view if there are differencesof opinion. Don't insist that they reach a common solution if this is not possible. * Circulate, supplying vocabulary if needed. * Monitor and note down errors and useful language for correction later on.
* Ss are asked to present their ideas to the class and find out if other groups agree. * Give ss a minute to prepare what they will report to the class. * Ss present their ideas and discuss it with other groups. * Monitor and correct errors and useful language. * If there is time, ss can role play as a follow up to the task. * Ss act out a conversation between the writer and a friend who is advising him/her. This can be more personalized if ss agree to speak about some personal problems.