To provide gist and scan reading practice using a text called "They cry easily" in the context of expressing emotions
To provide clarification of adjectives in the context of expressing emotions
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
- T divides the Ss into two groups - T asks Ss to take the turn and pick the small folded papers and mime the emotions written on the papers and other members of the group guess the adjective. The student who guesses is the next who mimes.
- T projects some pictures of different emotions and tries to elicit the new adjectives from the Ss. - T makes a list of adjectives and highlights the part of speech and stress place of the words. -T projects photos of famous men crying. it is followed by a question: Why do you think they are crying? -T pairs the Ss up to talk about the photos. -T monitors to make sure that Ss are on the task and do not speak Turkish. - T asks Ss to guess what they are going to read.
- T gives the copy of the text and strips of heading to Ss. -Ss are asked to do the gist reading and match the headings to the paragraphs. - Ss will check their answers in pairs. -Check with others. -FB
- T will give Ss HO of questions. - Ss will be given time to answer the T/F questions. - Check in pairs. -T asks the Ss to come to the board and write the answers on the board.
- T asks Ss 2 questions in order to elicit the marker sentence: According to the survey, 1. when do men often cry? 2.When did Matthew Pinsent cry? - T writes two marker sentences on the board. - MFP (part of speech, phonemic script, stress, intonation in sentences, weak or strong form, back chaining) -EC
- T put the Ss in the groups of 4. - T sets two questions for the Ss: 1.Is crying a man's thing or a woman's thing or may be both? 2. How do you feel after crying? - T monitors Ss and takes note of their mistakes for DEC. -DEC if needed