Upper Intermediate level
To provide students practice in order to understand and use Reporting Speech/Reporting Verbs
To provide students with speaking practice using Reporting Speech/Reporting Verbs
Procedure (39-53 minutes)
- Teacher shares personal experience of planning to travel to Istanbul, having to ask and gather reports from people about Istanbul. - Have students talk about things reported to them about places they've traveled to before they traveled.
- Students will read sentences and determine which sentences are reported speeches and which sentences are directed speeches (HO 1). - In pairs, students will check eachother's answers to make sense of the answers. - As A WC, students will uncover the sentences that are reported and cover the topic of reported speeches.
- Students will complete HO 2 by underlining subj, verb, obj (if any), and clause to discover the form. - As a WC, students will discuss the purpose of having the sentences structured this way.
- Students will work begin working on HO 3: making new sentences using the reporting verb in parentheses - Students will peer check and cover sentences they had difficulties with on the WB
- Students role play conversations they've had with people and report what they've learned about places that they want to travel to. - As a WC, students share their reports and decide whether they've also heard the same things about certain places.