A2 (Pre-Inter) level
Listening for gist and for specific information + Reading for gist and deducing meaning from context
Learning the meaning of lexis from context + Speaking to practice fluency
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
- "Do you guys like animals? Which ones?" - "How many of you have or had pets? Which ones?" - Show video of unusual pets. - "Why do you think these people have these unusual pets?" T elicits ideas from Ss and shows interest in what they say.
1. T projects the pictures of 5 animals (cat - rat - hamster - spider - snake). - Elicit the name of the animals. - "What do these animals eat?" - "Which one would you choose as a pet?" - Show picture of Gus and Maxine. - "Which pets do you think Gus and Maxine have?"
- "You'll listen to Gus and Maxine being interviewed about their pets. Try to guess which animal they have based on the description they give." - Play R. (once and don't pause) - FB: Pair check + WC FB: challenge Ss by asking them to justify their answer "how did you guess? any hints?)
- T chests HO "Read this list of characteristics about pets. Which ones you think were mentioned by Gus and which ones were mentioned by Maxine?" - Play R. for Ss to check their answers. - FB: Pair check + AK on OHP. - WC FB: "Which of these characteristics would you look for in a pet?"
- "What about a clever pet? Do you think it is important to have a clever pet? Why?" - "Let's watch this video about a special pet." Play video - "What kind of pet is this?" - "What's special about him?" - "Would you like to have a pet like this? Why?"
- In two groups, Ss are given cards and pictures. They need to match them in 2 min. Ss race to stick them onto the board. - The words are: bucther - pet owner - purse - counter - customer - scratch -FB: T checks if matching is correct. If not, concept check using miming or CCQ.
- T chests HO "Read this text and choose the best title. You have 2 min" - FB: Pair check + WC FB: Check why Ss think the dog is clever or stupid.
- HO on OHP "Here are some descriptions. You need to find the words that match the descriptions. You have a hint: sometimes you need to find 2 words or more for each description." Distribute HO. "You have 4 min" - FB: GW check + AK on HO for groups to check. - "Which one was difficult to guess?" (T concept checks the meaning of any difficult word).
- GW: Each group is given a profile of a person who wants to own a pet but hasn't decided which ones they need. - The group's job is to discuss which pet would suit this person by justifying their answer. (3 min) - Mingle: Each S from each group is matched with another. They exchange their ideas (which pet for the person and why) -WC FB: Ask one S to report back the ideas of the group. Show interest in what they say. - Proceed to error correction stage if applicable.