Present Continuous Tense - Affirmative and Negative
To provide clarification of affirmative and negative sentences in present continuous tense in the context of holiday
To develop oral fluency and accuracy through controlled oral practice of present continuous tense in the context of holiday
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
* T starts the lesson by asking the topic of previous day. * T asks if Ss like summer holiday or winter holiday more. * T gives Ss 2 min. to talk about their favourite holiday in pairs.
* T shows pictures of a woman, Liz on summer holiday. T: "Where is she? On the beach? In a skiing resort? In the mountain?" "Is she on holiday?" * T sticks the pictures on the WB modelling the target language. "Here Liz is swimming." "Now she is sunbathing." "And she's dancing with her friends." "She's reading a book." * T writes the sentences under pictures. * T writes negative sentences under the pictures. "She isn't sitting." "She isn't swimming here." "She isn't playing beach volleyball." "She isn't listening to music."
* T asks, "What is similar in these sentences?" * Ss talk about it in pairs for 2 mins. * WCFB
* T chests a H/O having two model sentences from the board, one positive and one negative. * T explains: "There two sentences here, and 4 questions. Look at the sentences, and answer the questions. Work alone. You have 4 minutes." * T gives the H/O to Ss. ICQ: "How many questions are there? - Four. "Which sentences will you look at? On the board or on the paper? - On the paper." * Ss check their answers in pairs. * T writes the model sentences on the board. * T elicits the form of the sentences. * T drills the pronunciation of model sentences.
* T shows coloured cut-ups with different actions. * T will show an example first. T will ask a st to choose one card, and mime it. T will make guesses: "You are swimming.", "You aren't playing tennis." * Ss will choose one of them and try to explain the action by miming. Ss will try to guess what their partner is doing. * Ss will have the exercise in about 5 mins.
* T shows a H/O of empty storyline. "This is a three picture story. You are on a holiday now. What are you doing? Draw them in the boxes." * Ss have 3 mins for drawing. * T says, "Now talk to your partner about your holiday boxes. You have 5 mins." * T monitors Ss to takes notes for delayed error correction. * Delayed error correction, WCFB