Copy of Landscape with the Fall of Icarus
Upper Intermediate level
To provide ekphrastic poem writing practice using Bruegel's painting The Landscape with the Fall of Icarus and William Carlos Wlliams's poem with the same title
To provide detailed reading practice using William Carlos Williams' poem about Bruegel's painting The Landscape with the Fall of Icarus
To provide fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of The Landscape with the Fall of Icarus, the painting and the poem
Procedure (39-53 minutes)
- Present Ss the painting, The Landscape with the Fall of Icarus by Bruegel and ask them to predict the title and painter. - Ask Ss if they know about Icarus or not. - Give Ss key words and ask them to predict the story for Icarus. - Get WCFB and give Ss a summary of the mythological story.
- Show Bruegel's painting again - Give Ss the handout about the painting - Ss work in small groups and answer the questions - Get WCFB
-Ss match the words with definitions in pairs. -Ss chech their answers with other pairs. -T provides answer key
- Write "Ekphrastic Poetry" on the board and try to elicit the meaning. Explain Ss that it means "writing inspired by art" - Ss listen and read the poem by Wlliam Carlos Williams - Ss compare and contrast the poem with the painting through the handout in pairs. - Get WCFB. - Get Ss' attention to the form of the poem.
- Ss choose one of these approaches and write a poem in pairs: - Write in the voice of a person or object shown in the painting - Write a dialogue among characters in the painting - Imagine a story behind what you see depicted in the piece - Write in the voice of the artist
- Ss read each other's poems and give a mark between 1-10. - The writers of the poem with the highest mark get a "certificate" - Give delayed correction