Ss practice gist and scan reading using a text about Bruce and Sally in the context of Winners and Losers
To develop fluency speaking practice in a conversation in the context of Bruce and Sally
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
* In Pairs, Ss discuss which of the adjectives in the box they know. * Ss match the adjectives with pictures. * T provides OC feedback paying attention pronunciation.
* In pairs, Ss categorize the adjectives. * T writes the words : crowded, dirty, rich and dangerous on the board then ask Ss to find words with opposite meaning. * T elicit answers from Ss. * T elicits new vocabulary paying attention to meaning and using CCQs to check understanding
* T directs Ss' attention to the title and make sure they know the meaning of 'winners' and 'losers' * In a minute, Ss read the first paragraph only and predict what is the article about? * T elicits some answers from Ss
* Ss take one minute to read the questions in Ex.3a. * T divide Ss into As and Bs. * Student A reads about Bruce and student B reads about Sally.Then answer the questions. * In pairs, A & B, students A asks about sally and student B asks about Bruce. * Each S reads his/her partner's text and checks his/her answers * T allows one minute for peer correction if Ss have any discrepancies in answers
* In pairs, Ss discuss the four questions in Ex.2b. * T asks Ss for any surprising they learned facts about their partners. * T provides OC feedback about content or language mistakes that Ss made while speaking