Simple Past Tense - Questions & Negatives
To provide clarification in simple past tense questions and negative statements through the context of weekend activities.
To provide specific information through listening about what they did or didn't do at the weekend
To provide Ss of practice of questions and negative statements in simple past tense
Procedure (33-45 minutes)
* T asks: "What is today? (Friday) "What is tomorrow? (Saturday) "Do you like weekends? (Yes) "What about last weekend? For example, I got up late last weekend. What did you do last weekend?" * Ss talk for 2 mins.
* T shows the photo of Angie and Rick, and asks "Where are they? what are they doing?" * T chests the dialogue H/Os. "There are missing words here. Listen and complete them." * Ss complete the dialogue individually while listening. They check in pairs. * T takes Ss to write the correct answers on the board. WCFB * T says "Underline the questions in the dialogue."
* T gives the H/O for questions. Ss will listen and complete the questions. ICQ: "How many questions are there? (4) "Will you listen for the questions? (Yes)" * Ss check their answers in pairs. * Ss listen again to find what Angie did at the weekend. * T asks writes on the WB what Angie didn't do. * T shows the H/O. Ss write three things Angie and Rick didn't do. Ss copy Rick's answers from the dialogue. * Ss check their answers in pairs.
* T tells students to unfold the H/O. * Ss answer the questions about the meaning of model sentences. * T reflects the model sentences and questions on the board. * WCFB * Ss will fill the form part. * WCFB * T turns the projector off. T models the pronunciation and intonation of the questions.
* T gives the H/O of practice page folded. * Ss do the first part. They complete the sentences with the past form of the verbs in brackets. * Ss check their answers in pairs. * WCFB
* T tells Ss to unfold the H/O. * Ss look at the questions. T shows a picture on WB and Ss tell what action it is. * Ss first answer the questions for themselves. They then mingle with people to ask the questions for 5 mins. * T asks what they have learnt about the person they have talked to. * WCFB