The Lost Weekend - Listening
Learners will practice their listening for gist and specific information on the context of the weekend.
To provide clarification and practice of something, anything, nothing, etc. and key lexis.
Procedure (40-51 minutes)
- T introduces himself to the class - T asks the class how they are doing - T writes on the board: "My ____ starts on Friday at 9 pm and finished Sunday at midnight." - T tries to elicit the word "weekend" - T says "So, I'm a student I have class Monday to Friday from 1 pm until 9 pm." - T asks "What do we call when the work week finishes?" - Wait for sts to respond - I1: "In pairs tell each other when your weekends start and finish and why?" - I2: "You will have two minutes." - ICQ1: "What are doing?" - ICQ2: "How much time do you have?" - Sts finish talking in pairs - T asks "Who had the longest weekend?" - Get some whole class feedback - Lead into the pre-teach task 1
- T divides the class into 3 groups - I1: "In your groups answer 3 questions and fill in the gaps" - I2: "Each group will choose a leader." - I3: "The leader will write the answers on the WB." - I4: "You will have exactly 3 minutes." - ICQ1: "What are we doing?" - ICQ2: "Is your whole group writing on the board?" - ICQ3: "How much time will you have?" - T says "time is up" - T says "Lets go over the answers" (WCFB) - T leads into pre-teach task #2
- T says "I will be a Living Tape Recorder" - T says "You will control when and what I read." - T says "I will only talk when you press play" - I1: "I need two Sts to control the recorder." - Two sts come up front - I2: "You will have 5 minutes to listen." - I3: "You may write on a piece of paper." - I4: "You may use the dictionary." - ICQ1: "What am I?" - ICQ2: "When do I talk?" - ICQ3: "How much time do you have?" - ICQ4: "Are you allowed any help?" - T will play until sts have the dictation - T says "Pair check your dictation" - T leads into the gist task
- T will write on the board: "What do you think the story is about?" a) Polar bears at a ski resort b) Being stuck in a lift c) Angry wife calls police - I: "Have a look at the question on the board" - I2: "I will play the audio and you will listen." - I3: "I will play it just once." - I4: "Answer the Q alone." - I5: "Check in pairs when you get the answer." - ICQ1: What are you doing? - ICQ2: How many times will you listen? - T asks "So whats this story about?" - T says "Yes its about..." - Do WCFB
- I: "Look at questions 1b, read them carefully." - I2: "I'll give you a few minutes to read." - I3: "I will play the audio again if you need it." - I4: "Answer questions alone 1-7 while listening." - I5: "You will have 5 minutes to answer questions." - I6: "Check in pairs after you answer the questions." - ICQ1: "What are we doing first?" - ICQ2: "Will I play the audio once?" - ICQ3: "Are you working in pairs?" - T gestures a cue for pair check - HO FOR FAST FINISHERS - T asks "Has this ever happened to you or anyone you know?" - WCFB
-T says "We will play Charades!" - I1: "You will get into teams of two." - I2: "You will get a word on paper." - I3: "Describe the word without telling your team what it is." - I4: "You will have 3 minutes to guess the word." - I5: "The team with the most points wins!" - T divides the class into two teams - T sets up the task - T monitors - Outro, feedback T asks "How did everyone do?"