Informal Letter Writing
To provide product writing practice of a letter in the context of letter to a friend
To provide clarification of words and expressions in the context of informal email
Procedure (34-45 minutes)
- T asks Ss " Do you have a friend in London or any other country?" "how are you in contact with each other?" - T elicits the answer: " Through messages and emails." - T projects Rosa's email. - T asks:" Who has written this email?" Answer: Rosa " to who?" Answer: Daniel " Are they friends?" Answer: Maybe " Do you think they saw each other before?" Answer: No " Do you know what we call these kinds of friends? -T tries to elicit pen friend
- T projects Rosa's email - Ss will be divided into two groups - Ss will be given two different colored strips of paper having some questions on - Ss will work in groups and match the questions with Rosa's information and stick them on the board - ICQs - Ss will go to the board and check all the questions and answers - T's FB
- T projects Rosa's email. - T asks Ss: " Is this a formal or informal letter?" Answer: Informal - T pairs Ss up to answer the question of: " What are the characteristics of an informal letter? (or) "What can you say about an informal letter?" - T elicits the answers such as: "Write it to family or friends." "They are friendly and chatty," "Use of contractions," etc - While Ss answer, T sticks the strips on the board to highlight the features of informal emails. - MFP of Chatty if Ss don't know the meaning of it. -T gives Ss Chiara's email (HO) - Ss correct the underlined mistakes individually. (semi controlled practice) -ICQs - Ss check their answers in pairs - T's FB and MFP - T divides Ss into 3 groups. - T gives each group strips including some beginning, middle. ending sentences and expressions used for informal emails. (controlled activity) - T gives Ss 3 minutes to put them in the right order. -ICQs - Ss will check other groups answers. - T's FB - Some MFP -CCQs
- T projects the instructions on how to reply Chiara's email. - Ss will be given 10 min to write an informal email in reply to Chiara (free activity, production) - Ss will swap their emails with another pair and ask them to proofread each other's email.
- T monitors Ss while writing and proofreading and takes note of mistakes for a DEC - DEC if necessary.