Around The World, Speaking
By the end of this lesson, students will develop their oral fluency through useful use of language.
Ss Practice listening to activate their schemata and to acquire some language chunks that could be used in speaking.
Procedure (36-46 minutes)
* T asks Ss what they know about Australia. * In pairs, Ss discuss the question in pairs to find out who knows more. * T make sure that Ss know the pronunciation of the main cities in order no to get confused while listening.
* T gives Ss the map of Australia and the vocabulary in box. * In pairs, Ss listen and find out in which places does Elaine mention the items in the box. * T provides O/C
* T hands "useful language" phrases in strips to Ss * Ss to categorize them according to function: recommending,not recommending, responding, describing. * T provides answer key
* Ss choose the place they like to talk about * Ss make notes about what they are going to say * T will provide Ss with any vocabulary or language items they need
* In pairs, Ss share their favorite destination and try to convince their partners with it. * Ss will vote for the most interesting destination.
* T provides error correction for content/language mistakes that Ss made while speaking.