Text-Based Presentation of Language #2
To provide clarification, review and practice past form of be for everyday life
To provide gist and inference reading practice using a text about everyday life
Procedure (36-47 minutes)
-T will introduce himself/herself to class -T will also ask how everyone is feeling -T will wait for students to reply -T will energize the classroom with some enthusiasm -T will lead-in to the lesson
- T shows class the handout - T gives I1: You will do Qs 1 and 2 - T gives I2: Qs 1 choose a, b, c, or d - T gives I3: Qs 2 turn the sentence into a negative and choose a, b, c or d - T gives I4: You will do it alone. - T gives I5: You have 3 minutes. - ICQ1: What will you do for Q1? - ICQ2: What will you for Q2? - ICQ3: Are you working alone? - ICQ4: How much time do you have? - I6: Now pair check. - I7 Get up, find a person and read your answers.
- T shows the reading handout to class - T gives I1: You will read text. - T gives I2: You will read it alone. - T gives I3: You have 3 minutes. - ICQ: What are you doing? - ICQ2: Are you reading in pairs? - ICQ3: How much time do you have? - T hands out the text - T reads the text out loud - T leads into highlighting
- T gives I1: Now work in pairs. - T gives I2: Find and circle was/were. - T gives I3: Write which one is singular or plural. - T gives I4: Discuss with your partner - T gives I5: You have 5 minutes. - ICQ: What are we doing? - ICQ2: Are you working alone? - ICQ3: How much time do you have?
- T uses WB to write the following: "I was at work"; subj(s) + preposition + noun - Explain the form and check Ss understanding. - Erase and write: " I wasn't at work"; subj(s) + p (neg) + noun - Ask CCQ: Why did I do.... n't.? Write on the board. - T asks Ss again: Why did I change this into negative? - A student will answer the question (hopefully) - Drill the pronunciation, focus on stresses - T uses WB to write the following: "They weren't at work" "They were at home" - T erases They and writes Maria and Boris. - Asks Ss why I'm using plural: - Wait for an answer if not clarify (its more than one)
- Prepare recording 2.18 (have it on pause) - T holds HO for CP1 - I1: You will answer Qs1-6 - I2: You will do it alone. - I3: You have 3 minutes. - I3: We will listen to the recording. - I4: And then you will do Q3 alone. - I5: You will have 2 minutes. - ICQ: What are we doing first? - ICQ2: Are you working alone? - ICQ3: Will we listen now or later? - I6: You will check in pairs HO#2 - T prepares 2.19 have it on pause - T prepares the HOs - I1: You will listen. -I2: You will answer Qs1-3 - I3: You will do it alone. - I4: You have 5 minutes. - I5: Check in pairs when finished. - ICQ: What will you do? - ICQ2: Are you working in pairs? - ICQ3: How much time do you have?
- T leads into the next activity - T says we're a gonna play a game - I1: You will get into groups 3. - I2: You will form your own statement and question. - I3: You have until the end of class. - I4: Have fun! -ICQ: Will you work in pairs? -ICQ2: Are you going to read whats on the paper? -ICQ3: How much time do you have?