To provide clarification of countries and nationalities in the context of individuals' origins (class, famous people, normal people)
To provide fluency and accuracy through a speaking practice (conversation) where Ss speculate about the origins of the people on some pictures
Procedure (37-51 minutes)
1. T draws the flag of her country. "Do you know the name of this country?" (Morocco, this is my country.) Do you remember if anyone else in this class is from Morocco? 2. "You are going to do the same." Ss are given handout with a title "Find someone who..." and 5 sentences that describe the country of someone. They should mingle and fill in the blank with the name of someone in the classroom. --> T models the game. This is a mingling activity which should take 2 min. Make sure to tell Ss to talk to everyone in this class, including the observers :-) 2. ICQs: - How many names you need to write? (5 names) - You should find the country or the favorite food? (country) - Are you working in pairs or talking to everyone? (talking to everyone) - You work slowly or quickly? (quickly) 3. Monitor to ensure no one is left out. 4. FB: Ss go back to their seats and sit down. Quick pair check and then WC FB.
1. This is a 'fly swatter' activity. T hangs on the WB cards including the nationalities that would be studied in this lesson. Ss are put in 2 groups. Each S stands up behind the other to form a straight line. After having 2 lines, the Ss on the front are given a fly swatter to use it to hit the target word. Once the T says the name of a country, the Ss with the fly swatter need to hit the card with the nationality. The team wins the card if they are the first one to hit the card with a fly swatter. --> T models the activity with a strong S. 2. ICQs: - How many groups: 2 or 3? (2) - You are sitting or standing? (standing) - Will I say the country or the nationality? (country) - And you are hitting or taking the card? (hitting, use the fly swatter to demonstrate) - Do you work quickly or slowly? 3. Activity starts. T ensures that the answers match the countries for Ss to win the card for their team and take it. 4. FB: Ss count how many cards they won for their team. Praise the winning team and thank all Ss.
1. Clarify: (10 min) - Using a ppt, T shows the picture of a famous person and elicits the name. Then, shows the corresponding country flag of the famous person. T elicits the name of the country and then the name of the nationality. - Focus on the meaning that nationality can be a person from the country or relating to Italy "He is an Italian actor" - T models the first slide using a famous Turkish figure (Mustafa Ataturk) and Turkey's flag so that Ss understand what is being elicited from them. N.B. Japanese actress name (Rinko Kikuchi) *CCQs: - Is China a country or a nationality? (country) - Is Brazilian a country or a nationality? (nationality) - Is Ronaldo a Portugal or a Portuguese footballer? (Portuguese) - Is Enrique Iglesias a Spain or a Spanish singer? (Spanish) 2. Pronunciation: (5 min) - OHP or stick on the WB countries and nationalities with the highlighted stress. Ss first listen to the recording without repetition and T draws attention to the highlighted stress. *ICQ: - Are you listening and speaking? (No) - Then, the second time, Ss listen and repeat. If necessary, drill any problematic pronunciation more than once. *ICQ: - Are you listening and speaking? (Yes) 3. Form / Parts of Speech: (2 min) - Markers: (TL in a different color) a. Ataturk is from Turkey. (noun: person from Italy) b. He is Turkish. (noun) c. He is a Turkish president. (adjective: belongs to Turkey) - T elicits the parts of speech from Ss. a + b: "Is this a verb or a noun?" c: "Is this a noun?" (No --> adjective)
- Ss are given a handout to fill with country or nationality (see the box) depending on context. This is going to be a solo activity. Ss will be given 3 minutes to do 10 sentences. * ICQs: - How many sentences? (10) - You're choosing between...? (country and nationality) - Are you working alone or with someone? (alone) - How many minutes you have? (3) - For FB, pair check and then T projects the answer key for Ss to check. Get some feedback about how many sentences were correct for them + if they have any questions.
1. Teacher provides a stimulus: Pictures are hanged on the board. 2. Modeling: T asks a S "What nationality do you think they are?" Pick a strong S to answer "I think they're ....". 3. T writes on the board and tries to elicit "how do we express opinion?" - Question: "What nationality do you think they are / he,she is?" - Answer: "I think they are / he,she is ..." 4. T explains that Ss are working in pairs and will speak / give opinion about the 6 pictures on the board using the question and answer on the board. Name Ss as A & B pairs. They have 3 minutes. 5. ICQs: - How many pictures you will talk about? (6) - Will you talk or write? (Talk) - Where are the As? Raise your hand. --> As, are you asking a question? (yes) - Where are the Bs? Raise your hand. --> Bs, are you answering the questions? (yes) - How much time you have? (3 min) 6. Ss work together and T monitors and looks for any errors to correct + drill. - Error correction techniques to follow: use fingers - WB - CCQs (see cover page for problem / solution) 7. If there's a need to conduct a WC error correction, do it and drill. 8. Switch pairs. Use ICQs above in 5 wisely. 9. FB: Ask some Ss to perform and praise the WC.