Listening - Protests and Demonstration
To make sts listen to a topic of protests and demontrations
To be aware of the words used for protests and demonstrations
Procedure (35-45 minutes)
* T will show a photo of a comic strip on women protesting. With this, sts will guess the topic of the day and T will elicit the words protests and demonstrations. * T will ask what date especially there are protests in Turkey. The expected answer is the May 1st. * T will tell sts to form the groups of three to discuss why people protest. Sts will discuss in groups for 2 mins.
* T will divide the class in 3 groups. Each group will be given two different coloured paper strips. One colour will have some slogans while the others will have their reasons. Sts will match the slogans with their reasons, and after 2 min of study, each group will come to the board and stick the slogans with their meanings on the divided part. Then T will tick the correct matchings. If there are any mistakes, they will be corrected together. - ICQ: "Are we going to write sentences with them?" "How many mins do you have?" "How many people from groups will come to the board?"
* T will show the photos of 4 people on the board reflecting them on the board. * Sts will discuss in pairs what they might be protesting. They will match the photos with slogans. They will discuss for 2 mins. - ICQ: "How many slogans are there for each for people?" * Sts will listen to the text once to check their guesses.
* T will chest a H/O with 8 sentences on it folded. Sts will not unfold the papers unless they are told to do so. - ICQ: "Are we opening the papers?" * Sts will be given 2 mins to guess individually if the sentences are true or false. If they are false, sts will correct them too. - ICQ: "How many minutes do you have?" "Are you going to work alone or in pairs?" "Are we going to correct them or not?" * Sts will listen to the same text once to check their guesses. Then, they will check their answers in pairs for 1 min. * T will be monitoring sts while they are listening and then checking their answers with their partners. If necessary, they will listen for the second time. * There will be a WC FB afterwards to clarify.
* T will tell sts to unfold the paper to see the vocabulary exercise. * Sts will be given 5 mins to discuss the words in the box and to complete the sentences with them in pairs. * WC FB
* T will tell sts to change partners. * T will write a question on the board: "What causes do you feel most strongly about?" If necessary, T will paraphrase the question. * They will have 3 mins to discuss.