Skimming and scanning a reading text
Language pactice of possessive adjectives
Procedure (31-43 minutes)
- Teacher greets students "Hi, how are you?" "Great, what day is today?" (Friday) "Oh, tomorrow is the weekend!" Show a happy face and relaxed face and body as if stretching.
- Since Ss have talked about their family tree, T comments on the fact that Ss are lucky to have brothers or sisters. "Ok, so all of you guys have brothers and sisters! You are sooooo lucky!" - T hangs pictures of her own mom and dad and says "Who are these?" Ss try to guess. "These are my parents." - T hangs photo of herself under the other photos. "And this is me!" (funny photo of scared baby) "Look at my family tree. Do I have any brothers or sisters? (No). You're right, I have no brothers or sisters, I am an only child." - T may ask a S to repeat the word "only child." T looks sad to show that she wished she had siblings. - T writes for both her parents their age (Dad 70 and Mom 62) + word "Retired." - T asks "What is the meaning of retired?" Ss try to guess, if not explain (use gestures and age).
- T chests HO and says "Read the text and answer this question. You have 1 minute." - ICQs: "How many questions will you answer? Will you read slowly or quickly? How much time do you have?" - In pairs, Ss check their answer. Then, as a whole class feedback, ask a S to say the title of the text. "Yes, correct. well done."
- T chests HO / uses projector and says "Look at the table. You're going to fill information about Elena's brother, mother and father. Write the name, age and job from the text in pairs. You have 3 min." - ICQs: "What will you write about?" "Are you going to work alone?" "How much time you have?" - T distributes HO and pairs Ss. (If projector doesn't work, copy the table on the board.) - Pair check: Ss check with a different partner. T can re-pair Ss. - Class check on the board. Use projector for Ss to go to the board and write their answers. - Good job everyone, thank you."
- T writes on the board "Rajae - Abderrahmane" and writes on the board the questions "Who's...? How old is she / he? What's his / her job?" (Leave space under each question.) - To model the next activity, ask a student to read the first question, T answers and writes the beginning of the answer (She / he is my....../ She's ..... / She is a/an ........ ) Then, do the same with other questions. - "Now, you write the names of your family. you have 1 min" (T points to the board to show the modeled example) - ICQ: "What will you do?" "How much time you have?" - "Ok, now in pairs, you will ask and answer questions." T points to the questions and answers' prompts on the board. "Ok, you have 2 min." - ICQs: "What will you do? and how much time you have?" T pairs Ss. - Extension: In a different pair, Ss do the same. (To get to know others) - As a feedback class, choose 2 pairs to model the short dialogue. - "Excellent guys."
Set up: - T writes on the board "Rajae is my mother." ('my' with a red colour). - CCQ: "Is she your mother? Is she our mother?" (funny possessive adjective there!) - On the right space of the board, list the possessive adjectives as a reminder. You can write the first one 'my' and ask Ss to either dictate the other or ask volunteers to write on the board. -T chests the HO "You have 7 sentences, you need to put my, your, our.... You have 3 min." -ICQs: "How many sentences? What will you do? How much time?" - T monitors and helps Ss who have a difficulty. - Ss check in pairs. - Whole class checking: T makes S go to the board to write the answers after reading them. T gives feedback depending on accuracy level of the Ss. - "Alright, you did really well today. Thank you and let's take a break now." (Happy face and smile)