What have you got?
To provide SS with gist as well as detailed listening practice in the context of cinema.
To provide accuracy and fluency speaking practice in a 'role-play' in the context of cinema.
Procedure (31-40 minutes)
• I will stick up two images on the board. The images show people talking togetehr where they shouldn't. • I encourage them to make educated guesses about what they are doing. * They might have some ideas and then I will ask if it is ok to speak in the classroom when the teacher is speaking. * Upon eliciting some ideas and writing one sample question and eliciting one from one of the students, I can rest assured that the SS are mentally ready to go about the listening.
• Students look at the picture in exercise 2 and make sure they see what the girls in the photo are doing and why the woman is trying to keep them quiet. • Unless I make sure they have figured out that the woman on the right is making noise and the one on the right is asking her to be quiet, I shouldn't consider moving on to listening activity. • Students pair up to exchange ideas in short and then I will get the feedback.
• The SS listen again to match some half sentences. • They pair up to check their answers before getting the feedback. • I ask them to come to the board and write the correct answers. • To give them more autonomy, I prefer to let them choose the next one.
• The SS listen to the recording and decide where Lisaa and Sadie are. • The SS are expected to show the teacher how they figured out where that place is. • I will ask students to raise their hands if they are willing to answer. • I definitely seek other students confirmation by getting them to voice their ideas. • I will invite the SS to come to the front and board the sentences.
• The SS are given a dialogue with a number of blanks to fill. • The SS pair up to fill up the blanks using the target language. • The dialogue is then acted out once it has been completed and checked. • There will be 3 pairs having a demo.
• I write 5 sentences only 3 of which are correct. The SS are given 300 Turkish lira, which is of course not real money. • They should buy only accurate sentences and spend their money wisely. • The group with the highest number of correct sentences will be the winner. Perhaps more than 1 group will end up winning the game and that;s totally fine. • I will keep a record of their purchases and finally decide which group spend their the best. • The game is played with groups of 4 or 5. * I appear rather energetic and convincing to sell my sentences and make money.
• The SS are put in groups of 3 and they are given colourful cut-outs and they are required to build 3 complete sentences__ one affirmative, one negative and one question. • Every group is assigned a different colour and a glue as well as colour an A4 on which they stick the complete sentences. • Once they are done, they will come to the board to write the answers.